AUDITIONS FOR THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE
By Gilbert and Sullivan
Directed by Paige Fossheim, Music Direction by Stefanie Barnfather, Choreography by Karen Iwanski
At the Pumphouse Theatre May 1 to 16, 2020
Strike up the band for one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s most beloved operettas! The Pirates of Penzance combines whimsy, light-hearted satire and piratical characters with stirring music, including the iconic “Major-General’s Song”. This is the play that cemented the comic-pirate theme in popular culture, a theme that has lasted through more than a century and spawned countless movies and novels. Jam-packed with sentimental, swashbuckling pirates, a completely dotty Major General and a bumbling bunch of hopeless but hilarious policemen, what could possibly go wrong? To add to the topsy-turvy nature of G&S, Morpheus will be flipping the genders of all your favourite characters.
Open auditions for all roles will take place:
Tuesday January 7th (7:00 to 9:30pm)
Thursday January 9th (7:00 to 9:30pm)
Sunday January 12th (1:00 to 4:00pm)
Location: Morpheus Rehearsal Centre, 3512 5 Avenue NW (lower level of the Parkdale Community Centre)
Callbacks, if required, will take place on Tuesday January 14th from 7:00 to 10:00pm.
- A prepared song to highlight your vocal abilities (approximately 2 minutes long, not from The Pirates of Penzance)
- Auditioners will need to provide their own music track. Please email your music at least 48 hours prior to your audition to [email protected] It is recommended that you also bring your music on an MP3 player. A capella auditions are also welcome.
- A prepared comedic monologue to highlight your abilities (no more than two minutes in length)
- A cold read may be requested
- You may be asked for a range check
- Please bring your resume and headshot to the audition
Not a traditional actor? That is okay, get in touch with us and we will find a way for you to showcase what you have to offer.
Rehearsals will take place from January 26th through April 30th. Rehearsals will be Sunday Afternoons, Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Morpheus Theatre requires that auditioners come prepared to commit to the rehearsal and performance schedule.