WCT is searching for an experienced TECHNICAL DIRECTOR to work on the production of CHELSEA HOTEL in our 2019-20 season. The TD is an integral part of the production team and works extremely closely with the Production Manager and Producer, along with our creative and production teams. The TD will lead the build, installation, tech and running of the production.
We are searching for candidates for the following dates, to be resident in Kamloops, BC:
Chelsea Hotel: Residency in Kamloops from February 10 – April 5, 2020 (8 weeks).
- In collaboration with the PM and Producer, works with Designers of the production to realize designs while keeping within budgetary constraints established and under timelines towards Opening Night.
- Works closely with all Department Heads and Stage Management, to disseminate information to/from rehearsals, creative team, designers and crew;
- Manages the build process in all departments, in close collaboration with the PM and Producer;
- Ensures the overall health and safety standards of all departments are kept up to date and are being followed;
- Designs and builds all special effects for WCT productions;
- Manages volunteer labour within production departments when applicable;
- Assists production departments with builds as required and when time permits;
- 2 years demonstrated experience in professional technical theatre, or a mix of experience & formal training in technical theatre;
- A strong understanding of modern stage equipment including lighting, sound, rigging and theatre construction techniques;
- Proficient with various IT applications including Microsoft Office suite and Vectorworks;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy – able to respond in a positive and helpful manner to a variety of stakeholders;
- Strong supervisory skills to lead staff and make decisions;
- Highly organized and able to prioritize effectively to work to meet rigorous deadlines;
- Has knowledge of health and safety legislation (ideally in BC but not required) and be able to implement and follow company safety policies and procedures;
- Able to manage projects on finite timelines and budgets with the ability to creatively problem solve while maintaining a positive attitude;
- Able to work a flexible schedule that includes some evenings, weekends, late nights and early mornings as the production schedule may dictate.
Also An Asset:
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License, with access to own vehicle
- The TD reports jointly to the Producer and Production Manager
- Works closely with Production Department Heads, technicians/venue crew, Associate TD.
- Also works with Venue TD, Venue Services Director, House Manager, WCT staff at all levels.
- This is a full-time, contract position, based on 40-hours per week, and hours may vary, as production needs dictate. An overtime averaging agreement will be in place for the duration of the contract.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed, and an accommodation allowance will be provided.
- Salary between $800-1200 per week, commensurate with experience & education.
Please submit a cover letter indicating your relevant experience, availability and salary expectations clearly. Please also include a resume and references and send to:
Dawn Bergstrom, Producer
Applications will be reviewed as received, beginning January 6, 2020
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Western Canada Theatre is committed to diversity in the workplace and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply, and to self-identify if they so choose. Due to the volume of submissions, we thank all who express interest in this position; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Safe & Respectful Workplace Statement
Western Canada Theatre is committed to the creation of a respectful work environment and supports those who have experienced or witnessed toxic behaviours. We stand up against behaviour that undermines the dignity or self- esteem of any individual, or which creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment. We invite all our Artists and Staff to partner with us in speaking up against harassment and standing together in addressing problems when they arise.
Western Canada Theatre acknowledges that we live, work and tell our stories on the traditional territory of Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc, whose people are the traditional stewards of this land.
Since 1975, Western Canada Theatre has been producing innovative, entertaining, and educational theatre for audiences in Kamloops, throughout BC’s Southern Interior, and across Canada. We have grown into one of the largest producing theatres in BC and have had a remarkable impact on the national theatre landscape: producing premieres of important new Canadian and Indigenous work, training some of Canada’s finest theatre professionals, and showcasing our work and our artists across the country through touring and co-productions.
Kamloops is our home and is a great place to live and work. We offer you the opportunity to thrive in a city that boasts a reasonable cost of living, gorgeous terrain, active lifestyle, and, of course, the sunny weather of BC’s Southern Interior. For more information, visit Kamloops.ca