The Canadian Badlands Passion Play
This is a Temporary, Full-time position.
Job Description / Duties
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the position of Seasonal Production Manager. The approximate dates of the 2020 contract will be from March to August (with the possibility of an extension through to the end of August for our concert series). Specific dates have not yet been confirmed and will be worked out with the successful candidate and the rest of the team.
The Production Manager is responsible for realizing the vision of the Directing Team within the overall budget and time constraints. This involves coordinating the operations of the various Production Teams: wardrobe, sound, props, stage management, scenic arts, etc.
In addition to management and financial skills, the selected candidate will have an overall knowledge of all production departments and how they interact during the production process. This may involve dealing with matters ranging from the hiring of staff, obtaining materials and services, personnel relations, logistics, information technology, union negotiations, scheduling, and workplace safety. The Passion Play is a large-scale production with 150 actors and 40 staff that requires an active, hands-on approach to problem-solving.
Contract Dates (to be confirmed):
March 1 – April 1, 2020
Off-site: Part-time (these early duties, such as emails or video meetings, are on a part- time basis and do not require living on site)
April 2 – July 30, 2020
On-site: Full-time (On-site for Passion Play rehearsals and performances)
*July 31 – August 31, 2020
(*Possible extension to manage the concert series during the month of August)
Qualifications and Required Skills
- a strong understanding of theatre organization
- experience and education in Theatre and/or Management
- experience in production scheduling/planning/staffing
- must enjoy working in a challenging creative environment with a large group of eclectic personalities
- willing and able to walk the challenging outdoor, 60-acre set
- a valid driver’s license is required
- Valuable related experience includes: working in theatres with volunteers and/or large casts; certification in theatre rigging; experience with outdoor theatre and/or working with animals
Areas of Oversight
- Plan and supervise the execution of production requirements for the annual season productions (includes creating and maintaining deadlines with all departments)
- Develop, manage and track production budgets
- Assist in hiring the seasonal artistic team and production personnel (negotiating
fees, arranging travel and/or housing, and issuing contracts, etc.)
- Manage production team and design process from initial concept through construction, rehearsal, opening and run including oversight of all disciplines’ labour, materials and rentals
- Develop and manage all rehearsal/production calendars and performance schedules
- Lead weekly production meetings
- Oversee the annual strike-week at the end of the performance season.
- Advise and assist with the planning of special projects and future artistic activity
- Enforce and stay up to date on current health and safety concerns/policies
- Participate in Leadership Team meetings
- Other duties as required
Please take a moment to visit our website www.canadianpassionplay.com and submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations. Please note that a vulnerable sector check will be a required step for the successful candidate.
Vance Neudorf – Executive Director email@example.com 1-403-823-2001 ext. 226
Entering its 28th Season, the Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. The company is a unique combination of 150 volunteer performers with a professional crew. The company mandate is to annually depict the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is performed in the Badlands Amphitheatre – Canada’s largest outdoor theatre stage with 2500 seats built into the hills of the Drumheller badlands.