iHuman Youth Society is a non-profit, charitable organization whose mission is to serve young adults and promote their reintegration into the community through a program involving crisis intervention, arts mentorship, and life skills development. Situated on Treaty 6 Territory in the Boyle Street neighborhood, iHuman provides developmental opportunities that focus on the principles of creativity, authenticity and caring for members between the ages of 12 and 24.
iHuman Youth Society is currently inviting applications for the position of Head of Studio: Fashion/Textiles. Reporting to the Artistic Director and working as part of a team, the Head of Studio will assume a lead role in youth engagement, provide technical expertise and work collaboratively with iHuman artists to develop and deliver creative programming.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Manage studio space
- Coordinate programming related to fashion/textiles
- Support iHuman’s artists in their creative journey towards iHuman’s four (4) main outcomes: purpose, self-worth, identity, and belonging.
The 700 square foot studio space dedicated to fashion/textile activity is furnished with equipment and materials to support a wide range of activities including design, sewing, makeup, hair care, beading, weaving, etc. Studio hours of operation are weekdays, 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. This opportunity will appeal to an applicant who has relevant technical competencies, a passion for fashion, and enjoys working with young adults.
- Experience, training, professional connections, and a breadth of creative skills in the visual arts field, particularly through the lens of traditional indigenous arts and teachings
- Technical proficiency in sewing machine operation and maintenance
- Knowledge of garment building from concept to construction, drafting and working from patterns and the ability to convey that knowledge to others
- Well-honed coaching skills, strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to forge engaging and trusting relationships with young people and maintain healthy professional boundaries
- Experience with and/or ability to apply harm-reduction and trauma-informed practices
- Computer competency with Mac and PC
- Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday; may include evening and weekend hours as required
Salary: $19.00 – $21.00 per hour
Posting Closes: January 7, 2020
Forward Cover Letter & Resume (in WORD or PDF only) to: HR Consultant, iHuman Youth Society recruitment – [email protected]
Cover Letter must describe your particular interest in working for iHuman.
Thank you to all who apply. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted