Walterdale Theatre is currently celebrating its sixty-first (61st) season of exciting, provocative and high-calibre theatre. Every year, our teams of dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers join together to create full seasons of plays ranging from the classical to the freshly-written; our community includes life-long theatre hobbyists, young emerging artists; and those just curious about the dazzling world of theatre. Walterdale Theatre is a converted historic fire hall right in the middle of Old Strathcona, with an up-to-date and flexible stage and technical system on par with many of the professional theatres in Edmonton. Information about our current and past seasons can be found at www.walterdaletheatre.com.
Walterdale Theatre Associates is looking for an Artistic Director (AD) to provide artistic leadership for our 2020-21 and 2021-22 Seasons. The AD, with support from an active working Board of Directors, is responsible for:
- proposing seasons to the Board of Directors based on submissions from the membership (which includes 5 full length productions in addition to the From Cradle to Stage New Work Festival),
- helping select Directors for each play (often play submissions come with directors),
- developing a vision for the From Cradle to Stage New Work Festival and finding a Festival Chair to help co-ordinate it,
- working with Production Managers and Directors to build artistic teams,
- guiding artistic choices and direction with the theatre association,
- being the liaison between Directors and the Board of Directors,
- attending a monthly Board of Directors meeting, and
- representing Walterdale to the general public.
- The Artistic Director also typically directs one show per season, however, in the event that the applicant is a Designer, Actor or other theatre artist, this contribution can be amended.
Artistic Directors generally serve a two-year term at Walterdale. Like all artistic positions in the company, the AD is a volunteer position.
Anyone may apply for the position of Artistic Director; however, the best candidate will have experience as a Director or theatre artist outside of Walterdale and/or a history with Walterdale itself (i.e. working on Walterdale productions in various capacities). A familiarity with Walterdale’s recent or extended history would be an asset.
Applicants should submit the following information:
- A cover letter, explaining why you wish to be Artistic Director;
- A copy of your theatrical résumé;
- A proposal for the 2020-2021 Walterdale season, listing possible plays and describing why each play would be suitable for Walterdale and how the season as a whole will serve Walterdale and its audiences (Please note: this would be your ‘dream season’ as you would build the actual season from submissions through our submission process. We encourage you to look at recent and current seasons to avoid any duplication, as well as look at our space so that you can select shows that would work well in it. This proposal should also include a vision for the From Cradle to Stage New Work Festival).
- Your contact information (Best email and Best Phone# are essential).
Applications may be mailed to, or dropped off at the theatre at:
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR SEARCH
c/o Eric Rice, Administrator
10322 83 AVE NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 5C3
Applications may also be e-mailed to the theatre’s Administrator, Eric Rice, at [email protected]. Please ask for a confirmation e-mail in return. We cannot guarantee the reliability of e-mail servers.
The deadline for applications is November 15, 2019. The applications will be studied by a search committee from Walterdale’s Board of Directors. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed in late November, and the selection will be made by December 10, 2019.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the Artistic Director search, please email our President, Kristen Finlay, at [email protected]