Job Posting – Administrator
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Fixed Term Employment Contract
CONTRACT DATES: November 19, 2019 – November 21, 2020, with the possibility of extension
HOURS: Part-time (roughly 17 hours per week; exact scheduling is flexible and may demand more of the position in some months than others)
REPORTING TO: Artistic Director
SALARY: $16,000 per year (before taxes and deductions)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm MST
Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre is seeking an Administrator (title negotiable) to join our team of Cyclists, beginning November 19, 2019 in Calgary, Alberta.
Founded in 2006 by Mark Hopkins and Charles Netto, Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre spent its first decade creating original theatre in unusual locations. The past few years have represented a period of immense change.
From 2014-17, the organization embarked upon an intensive process – New Pathways for the Arts – that led to the development of an Arts Manifesto (see below) that now guides all aspects of our operations. In 2018, Charles Netto left the organization, which spurred a further series of personnel changes and organizational shifts. Today, the Cyclist team consist of Mark Hopkins (Artistic Director), Bianca Guimarães de Manuel (Artistic Associate) and Kris Vanessa Teo (Outreach Coordinator).
Having implemented, applied and tested our Arts Manifesto over the past couple of years, we are ready to embark on new explorations of productive discomfort with the support of a new Administrator on our team!
- Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre creates productive discomfort. We engage with power structures, shining an interrogation light in society’s eyes.
- We endanger the eardrums of the status quo by amplifying the voices of outcasts, misfits, diverse communities and artists who face barriers.
- We hold ourselves accountable for the discomfort we create, to the communities we encounter, and to ethical working practices.
- Art is how we do this. Art is awesome, and fun to make.
- We learn and mutate as we engage with different sites, communities and artistic practices.
- We don’t just swallow bicycles. We swallow complacency, conventions, problematic issues and sometimes cookies.
The Administrator is responsible for fulfilling – and, when necessary, challenging and reinventing – various administrative and organizational tasks in collaboration with the SaB team. Tasks may include:
• Fund Development:
o Writing government and foundation grants
o Seeking, securing and managing new funding opportunities
o Managing casino fundraisers
• Financial management:
o Stewarding the organization’s financial health
o Preparing annual and production budgets
o Bookkeeping and preparation of financial statements
o Cash flow analysis and updates
o Managing payroll and source deductions
• Organizational Management:
o Managing annual filings to CRA, AGLC, Government of Alberta, etc.
o Website maintenance
o Liaising with and supporting the Board of Directors
• Production support:
o Managing ticket sales and/or registrations
o Recruiting volunteers
o Supporting marketing and publicity
o Writing artist agreements
… basically, all of the things that keep a scrappy indie arts company chugging along! While much of the work is, by necessity, pretty conventional, we’re also interested in finding new ways to operate in more equitable, impactful and socially responsible ways, and the Administrator will be at the heart of those efforts.
The ideal candidate has…
- Experience with and/or enthusiasm for arts and non-profit administration.
- Strong, detail-oriented organizational and task-management skills, often in a self-directed manner.
- The ability to confidently bring projects at various levels of development through to completion.
- An affinity for boundary-pushing art, often site-specific, interdisciplinary, community-engaged and/or post-dramatic.
- A passion for independent producing/performing, and all of the associated joys and challenges.
- A willingness to challenge convention and shit-disturb.
We encourage a wide range of applicants to submit for this position. If you’re on the fence, apply anyway! BIPOC, Deaf/disabled and/or LGBTQ2S+ folks are heartily encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit:
- CV highlighting administrative experience.
- A letter, or audio or video recording, that includes…
o Information about your experience in arts and/or non-profit administration and organizational management.
o Why you want to work with Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre.
o Your thoughts on SaB’s Art Manifesto.
- Any support materials (or surprises!) relevant to the application.
Short-listed candidates will also be asked to provide a minimum of two references.
If you are interested in the position but these requirements create a barrier to applying, please contact us via phone (403.710.0093), email (email@example.com) or post (#4 714 5A St NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1R4) so we can figure out something that works for you.
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Administrator Application.
DEADLINE: Submissions must be received by Monday, October 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm (MST)
“A playwright lives in an occupied country. He’s the enemy. And if you can’t live like that, you don’t stay. It’s tough. He’s got to be able to take a whack, and he’s got to swallow bicycles and digest them.” – Arthur Miller, 1915-2005