by George Orwell
Adapted by ROBERT OWENS, WILTON E. HALL, JR.,
and WILLIAM A. MILES, JR.
Onstage: Feb 5 – 15, 2020
Director: Monica Roberts
Stage Manager: Cassie Duval
Audition Location: Walterdale Theatre
Audition Dates: Oct 6th from 7pm to 9pm; Oct 7th 7pm to 9pm
Callbacks: Oct 12 2019, 1pm
First read through Oct 20, 7pm
This play is an adaptation of George Orwell’s famous 1949 dystopian novel about political dictatorship, and conformity in an age of surround-media.
Sexuality, Nudity, Extreme violence
- PARSONS – Employee at the Ministry of Truth, guardian of Gladys
- SYME – Employee at the Ministry of Truth, newspeak expert
- WINSTON SMITH – Employee at the Ministry of Truth, struggles with conformity
- MESSENGER – Employee of outer party, vigilant, smart
- COFFEE VENDOR – Employee of outer party
- FIRST GUARD – Party right hand, imposing, stoic, not a speaking but physical role
- SECOND GUARD – Party’s left hand, imposing, stoic, not a speaking but physical role
- O’BRIEN – Member of inner party, intelligent, charismatic
- MARTIN – O’Brien’s assistant, inner party
- JULIA – Bold, instinctive, new employee to the Ministry of Truth
- LANDLADY – Proletariat, lives outside of the party system, speaks with English low accent
- GLADYS – A devoted party youth, ever vigilant, passionate. Gladys must read as young as possible (6 – 12yrs old).
NB – The parts of Winston Smith and O’Brien are male and Julia are female. All the other parts may be played by either men or women. Extensive doubling is possible.
The following character’s scenes will be prerecorded and will appear on video during the show. These roles will be short term calls for the month of November.
OCEANIA (loudspeaker voice)
BIG BROTHER – The face of the Party, handsome, imposing, ever present
GOLDSTEIN – The enemy of the people – the radical leader against the Party
Please arrive with one of the following:
- Two minute (max) contemporary theatre monologue (we can provide one from the show, if needed)
- Be prepared to cold read scenes for a variety of characters
- For those only interested in the roles of Big Brother, Goldstein, Loudspeaker (which will only appear as prerecorded video) please submit a 1 min video audition. (email for script – email@example.com ).
Please bring the following to the Audition:
- Your availability and the dates you’ll be away between Oct 22 2019 to Feb 20 2020
- Headshot and resume, if you have one.
Monday, Wednesday and Sunday Evenings.
Any rehearsal conflicts must be noted at the time of the audition.
- First Read through Oct 20th
- First Rehearsals Oct 22
- Tech week Jan 27 to Feb 4th
- Performance dates Feb 5 – 15 2020
Sign up for auditions online:
Walterdale Theatre is committed to inclusive casting. Artists who are members of under-represented communities are greatly encouraged to audition.
Walterdale Theatre is a volunteer organization and cannot engage Canadian Actor’s Equity Association members.