Call to Artists – Rehearsals in Residence with Evergreen Theatre and Community SPACES
With the generous support of the Calgary Arts Development Authority we are thrilled to be conducting a pilot project (Rehearsals in Residence) throughout the 2019/2020 creation season to offer low-cost and no-cost daytime rehearsal space for successful applicants.
We believe that smaller companies, collectives, emerging artists, individual artists and creators face many barriers when bringing their work to life—and rehearsal space for creation, development and staging is often one of them.
In order to encourage a healthy artistic community in Calgary, Mohkinstsis and surrounding area—we are thrilled to begin to unpack some of those barriers and work towards strengthening the community we all share.
We are pleased to offer low to no-cost daytime residencies to successful applicants willing to help us uncover and explore some of the barriers facing individuals and organizations in accessing clean, safe and inspiring space.
What is a Rehearsal in Residence?
For Evergreen Theatre Society a Rehearsal in Residence is a dedicated amount of time where an individual or group of artists will have access to one of our seven professionally maintained rehearsal studios, Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm, to immerse themselves in the creation or rehearsal of a project that could benefit from embracing a fulltime artistic practice for a duration of one to three weeks.
How to Apply:
Email a one page request letter to [email protected] outlining what you would use a Rehearsal in Residence for.
Please include the following:
- Type of practice you will be undertaking and what access to rehearsal space would mean to you and/or your organization.
- Indicate what type/size of studio you would require for your work.
*visit the www.ecspaces.com to familiarize yourself with the SPACES
- If you are interested in low-cost space, indicate a weekly rate that would be feasible for you/your organization. If you require no-cost space, please indicate that in your application letter.
- Include how many weeks (1 to 3) you would require and what weeks (between October 15th and June 15th) you would be interested in.
- Include intended outcome of the rehearsal/creation period.
- Include any other accommodations or requirements of your project that will need to be taken into consideration to have a rehearsal space that truly works for your project.
- Include primary applicant contact information
*Please note our studios are most conducive for performative art development and less conducive for visual art development.
In alignment with Evergreen Theatre and Community SPACES value-driven priorities, priority access will be given to individuals/groups/collectives who identify with an equity-seeking community, honouring our continued desire to see an artistic ecosystem that is free of historic exclusions and systemic barriers.
We request that all successful applicants be prepared to assist us in exploring the need for and accessibility of daytime rehearsal space in YYC by:
- Participating in a pre-rehearsal dialogue and survey with a member of Evergreen Team around your project, rehearsal practice and planned artistic trajectory.
- Participating in a mid-rehearsal process check-in with a member of Evergreen Team to share your rehearsal experience to-date in the facility and see if any adjustments/assistance can be provided to ensure you get the most out of your residency.
- Participate in a post rehearsal dialogue and survey to reflect on your experience and explore any barriers you encountered during the process relating to, but not limited to, use of Evergreen SPACES.
If you have any questions about the application process or require any accommodations to complete your application please contact Michelle Brandenburg at [email protected] or at 403.228.1384
Applications Open: September 5th, 2019
Applications Close: September 23rd, 2019
Who We are:
Evergreen Theatre and Commuity SPACES is 24,000 sqft of multi-purpose space utilized by over 100,000 persons a year.
With over 24,000 sqft of multi-purpose space, we offer 7 studios, a large theatre performance space, workshop, boardroom, and office space for organizations as well as other businesses that serve over 100,000 Calgarians annually. With over 170 active arts and culture centric groups using the SPACES, we are home to performances, festival, auditions, artistic development classes and workshops for students, artists, and members of the community.
Additionally, Evergreen proudly offers curriculum-based musical theatre touring shows, artist-in-residency programs for schools, as well as custom workshops, presentations, and activities for conferences and organizations nationwide.
Every aspect Evergreen Theatre Society is guided by our belief in Making SPACE for creative Communities to thrive.
Evergreen Theatre Society gratefully acknowledges that the SPACES would not exist without the careful stewardship of those who kept the land for generation upon generation, we honour and acknowledge Mohkinstsis and the traditional territory of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikuni, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Stoney Nakoda First Nations, including Chiniki, Bearpaw, and Wesley First Nations. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
This project would not be possible without the support of a project grant through from the Calgary Arts Development Authority.