Walterdale Theatre Associates
Book by Kevin Del Agula
Music and Lyrics by Gary Adler and Michael Patrick Walker
Onstage: December 4 – 14, 2019
Director: Gregory Caswell
Musical Director: Sally Hunt
Choreographer: Bethany Hughes
Assistant Director: Jenn Robinson
Stage Manager: Jordan Campion
Audition Location: Walterdale Theatre
Audition Dates: Sunday, Sept 8, 12 – 5 p.m.; Monday, Sept 9, 6 – 9 p.m.
Callbacks: Tuesday, Sept 10, 6 – 9 p.m.
Altar Boyz is a foot-stomping, rafter-raising, musical comedy about a fictitious Christian boy-band on the last night of their national “Raise the Praise” tour. The Boyz are five all-singing, all-dancing heartthrobs from Ohio: Matthew, Mark, Luke, Juan, and Abraham. As they perform their signature hits such as Rhythm In Me, The Calling, and I Believe, the Boyz question their loyalty to each other and ask whether or not faith is really holding them together.
They finally deliver a message of unity, that “there is no star as bright as its constellation, no harmony in a single voice.”
- For the September 8 & 9 auditions, please prepare either a song made popular by a boy band like Backstreet Boys, N’SYNC, 5ive, etc, or a pop-styled song from contemporary musical the-atre in a similar style to the Altar Boyz. Please either bring a backing track with a speaker, or sheet music for our accompanist. Sheet music may be submitted prior to the audition to help the pianist prepare. You will also be interviewed by the director.
- The September 10 callback is a dance call. Successful parties will be asked to read sides to determine group chemistry.
Please bring the following to the Audition:
- A current headshot and acting CV.
- Your contact information.
- Your availability during the rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Any rehearsal conflicts must be noted at the time of the audition.
- Beginning Tuesday, September 17, rehearsals will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 – 10 p.m. and Sundays from 1 – 5 p.m.
- Due to the group nature of the production, please note that all actors are required for all rehearsals unless absences have approved by the director.
Sign up for auditions by emailing Karin Lauderdale, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org and stating “Altar Boyz Auditions” in the subject line.
Walterdale Theatre is committed to inclusive casting. Artists who are members of under-represented communities are greatly encouraged to audition
Walterdale Theatre is a volunteer organization and cannot engage Equity performers.