Fire Exit Theatre is seeking actors for their December production of Babette’s Feast; conceived and developed by Abigail Killeen and written by Rose Courtney. Directed by Jeany Van Meltebeke Snider.
SYNOPSIS: This story follows the lives of two sisters, daughters of a minister of a strict religious sect in a small village on an isolated coast of Norway in the 1800’s. Their lives are changed and enlivened with interesting visitors, one being a vivacious French woman who comes to serve them and demonstrate the passion and resourcefulness of an artist. This play will be told incorporating the whole ensemble and is based on the Isak Denison’s short story of the same name. It is a unique tale of spiritual hunger and communion.
Rehearsal in Rosebud: Sat. Sept. 7 (9:30-12:30, (Potluck lunch), 2-6)
Rehearsals at Renfrew Baptist Church:
Sept. 20-21, Oct. 4-5, 18-19, 25-26. (Fri. 7-10pm, Sat. 9:30-12; 1:30-5)
Nov. 7-9, 14-16, 21-23, 28-30, Dec. 5-7. (Thurs/Fri 7-10pm, Sat. 9:30-12; 1:30-5).
Tech rehearsals are December 8th-10th with performances running from December 11th-15th (six shows) at the Engineered Air Theatre, Calgary.
HOW TO PREPARE: Actors will be sent sides from the play and should be ready to work on their feet in ensemble to tell story. Come ready to move and sing.
HOW TO SIGN UP: Auditions will be Sunday July 28th at Renfrew Baptist Church – 1204 Renfrew Dr. NE.
Please schedule an audition time by emailing Val Lieske at email@example.com
Audition time slots: 2-3pm, 3-4pm, 4-5pm, 5-6pm
We will be auditioning for the following roles, but character distribution may vary in final casting.
- Babette: A mysterious French woman.
- Martine: Elder daughter (by one year) of the Dean.
- Philippa: Younger daughter of the Dean.
- Player #1: Narration, also plays the Dean, the Dresser, Skipper Halvorsen, and the Postman.
- Player #2: Narration, also plays a Suiter named Lars, Erna, the Lady of the Swedish Court, and Dagfinn the fishmonger.
- Player #3: Narration, also plays Achille Papin, Alf, and the Horse Groom to Old Mrs. Loewenhielm.
- Player #4: Narration, also plays Loewenhielm and Espen.
- Player #5: Narration, also plays a Suiter names Hans, Young Loewenhielm, the Red Haired Boy – named Leif, and Osvald.
- Player #6: Narration, also plays Aunt Loewenhielm, Astrid, and Henrick the Bread Seller.
Fire Exit Theatre is a non-equity semi-professional theatre company. Actor honorariums are paid.
Telling Stories That Matter www.fireexit.ca