Reporting to the Production & Facility Manager, the individual in this position is a member of the Production Department and works closely with the Technical Director, Rentals Manager, Apprentice Technical Director, The Studio House Technician and, during performance periods, the Audience Services Manager and Stage Management.
The Playhouse Technician will work with the production department to maintain the Playhouse Theatre and its equipment, develop and uphold safety protocols, and will be the primary onsite technical contact and show technician for The BD&P Mystery series and Playhouse rental clients. The Technician will be well versed in theatrical lighting, sound, projection, carpentry and rigging, and will have exceptional personnel and communication skills.
- Comfortable working at heights
- Comfortable using power tools
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to manage crews, lead calls, take direction and work independently
- Superior knowledge of Audio & Video equipment and software (Qlab)
- Superior programming skills on ETC lighting boards (Ion)
- Knowledge of stage lighting & rigging for the theatre
- Basic scenic carpentry skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to inspire others
- Ability to work well with other technical staff
- Ability to work efficiently under stress and maintain a good sense of humor
- Ability to adapt to a variety of client or artist demands
- Ability to analyze technical problems and offer effective solutions
- Maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the theatre
- Ensure the safety of the workplace by helping to establish and then adhering to all health,
security and safety policies and procedures
The Playhouse Technician is a key member of the Vertigo team and, as such, will uphold and promote Vertigo’s values of excellence, mentorship, collaboration, advocacy, accessibility and accountability.
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premier cultural institution in Calgary, and has entertained audiences for over 42 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. We produce our own season, the BD&P Mystery Theatre Series that runs in The Playhouse, and our Studio is home to a number of smaller performing arts organizations. Our audience is diverse and includes children and young families, urban professionals and seniors. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
This is a 43-week full-time (minimum 32 hours per week) contract with the possibility of up to 45 weeks. starting August 19, 2019 to June 13 2019 with the possibility of adding up to 2 additional weeks with the option to renew for the following season.
The Playhouse Technician Rate is $26/hour plus 4% Vacation pay; industry standard overtime rates and break schedules apply
Deadline to submit: The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is selected. Interviews will start July 22 2019
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV as well as three references to Michael Slemon, Production & Facility Manager, Michael.Slemon@vertigotheatre.com. Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com