Scorpio Theatre is a Calgary-based theatre company specializing in new and new Calgary works. We are an entirely volunteer driven company that likes to work hard and play hard. We have an exciting new season planned (our 20th!), and are in need of a Technical Director to help us bring these amazing stories to life. Below is a list of the responsibilities for the role. If you believe you’re the person we’re looking for, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, to see details of our upcoming season, please visit scorpio.ca.
- Anticipation of logistical issues and proactive analysis provided to the Executive Producer and Director.
- Regular and prompt communication with collaborators.
- Costing analysis of preliminary and completed designs to create work schedules, equipment lists, and supply lists.
- Coordinate and facilitate the work of artists such as stage crew, construction crew, designers, directors, choreographers, and stage managers as it relates to technical operations during rehearsals, setup, technical rehearsals, strike and restore.
- Supervision, leadership, and professional development of artists such as stage crew and construction crew.
- Present during pre-production, production, and post-production activities. Available on an on-call basis between opening and closing performances to trouble shoot issues with stage crew and stage management.
- Consultation and advice regarding maintenance of stage equipment, supplies, operations, and capital expenditures.
- Coordinate acquisition and transportation of equipment and supplies.
- Advance logistical needs for productions, presentations, and venue partnerships.
- Approving expenditures and recording costs.
- Maintain and update building technical drawings and specifications, including Vectorworks drawings.
- Other Duties as mutually agreed.
About Scorpio Theatre:
Scorpio Theatre is a volunteer, non-profit community theatre group devoted to showcasing new works from the fringe of the dramatic world. While Scorpio initially specialized in original comedies, our mandate has grown to include all manner of plays that are new to Calgary audiences, with a focus on local playwrights. Our goal is to create conversation and elicit two-way dialogue with our audience – love or hate it, we want you to walk away feeling impacted and thinking about the show. Scorpio presents a night at the theatre unlike anything else in the city.
Scorpio is dedicated to providing members of the Calgary theatrical community with an opportunity to grow as artists and individuals within a supportive society. We pride ourselves on treating our members with the respect they deserve, while allowing creative freedom to explore and develop. Scorpio takes care of its members, and strives to build strong relationships with and support other community theatre groups.
Founded in 2000, Scorpio presents award winning theatre productions, receiving several Calgary-ACTS CAT nominations and awards annually. Most recently, Scorpio was recognized for its production of a new adaptation of George Orwell’s 1984, which won all seven of its nominations for the 2017 – 2018 Season including Best Production, Director, Score and Stage Craft. The 2019 – 2020 Season will mark the 20th anniversary of Scorpio Theatre.