Downstage is a Calgary-based professional theatre company dedicated to producing Canadian
plays that create meaningful conversation around social issues. Read more about us here.
We are seeking a candidate with strong technical theatre knowledge to fill the part-time
position of Production Manager. This contract runs from July 22, 2019 to August 31, 2020 with the potential to renew.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity, and encourage applications from all
qualified individuals. We will happily provide training and opportunities for growth for the right
candidate to be successful in this position.
Production Management / Technical Direction of Downstage’s shows and special events,
with duties including:
- Planning, management and tracking of production budgets and designs
- Sourcing, renting and purchasing materials as necessary for the productions
- Approval of designs and supervising their implementation
- Creating and maintaining production and tech schedules
- Liaise with designers and stage management throughout rehearsals, runs, tech, and performances
- Engaging and coordinating crew for setup and strike
Management of the Motel Theatre in Arts Commons, including:
- Programming the venue with the oversight of the Artistic and Managing Directors
- Liaising with renters, including issuing rental contracts and invoices and maintaining a rental calendar
- Space maintenance including venue checks at the end of each rental period and completing or contracting out minor repairs
- Liaising with Arts Commons as the representative for the venue
- Supervising of Downstage crews in Motel, and providing technical assistance for renters as required
- Able to work both independently and in close collaboration on tasks
- Able to problem-solve calmly and effectively, including when under pressure
- A strong communicator, both in person and in writing
- Knowledge of theatrical sound and lighting equipment
- Experience with how to create a budget and track expenses
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive rental vehicles
- Ability to participate ‘hands on’ in set ups and strikes, such as lifting and pushing objects of up to 50 lbs
- Experience with new work creation is an asset
- Previous experience as a theatre technical director, production manager or running a venue is an asset
- First Aid training is an asset
- Excellent computer skills
The position is for up to 520 hours for the contract period, billable at $20.00 per hour for a total
fee of $10,400. It is expected that work will be primarily concentrated around our producing
activities, with some ongoing administrative work throughout the season. As this is a part-time
contract, we fully expect you to be balancing multiple commitments – however, you must have
excellent availability in November 2019 as well as February, March and May 2020.
To apply, please send an email to Managing Director Danielle Whyte at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and a letter of interest as a pdf attachment, by 5:00pm on June 21, 2019.
We will let you know we received your application, then get in contact if you are selected for an interview.
Thanks for your interest in Downstage!