The Ambrose Arts division in the Faculty of Arts & Science is seeking Technical Director from October 2019 – April 2020.
The Technical Director (TD) is responsible for making sure that all technical aspects of a show are carried out in a timely fashion. The TD oversees all technical aspects of a production, including the set design, lighting and set construction, and handling any technical details needed during performances. This job can be purely administrative if enough of the labour is delegated to the set and lighting crews, or it can be more hands-on. Reports directly to the Associate Director of Ambrose Arts.
Full Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Liaise with Production Manager on all productions in the season
- Attend production meetings
- Liaise between directors and designers
- Facilitate any needed carpentry or builds
- Ensure that design is created according to the designer’s specifications in keeping with elevations and models they have provided
- Schedule crew calls (including build times if necessary), meetings, set building and load-in/strike
- Schedule and run tech days in the theatre space, ensuring there is adequate manpower for light hangs and set load-in and tear down
- Be available to solve technical problems that may arise during the run of a show
- Ensure materials for build & lighting are available and appropriate to design.
- Act as point of contact for stage manager, designer, carpenter, set crew and all technicians.
- Make technical information available to designers (i.e.; paints available, light plot specs etc.).
- Rent and transport of all gear (must have valid Alberta Driver’s License and have the ability to rent transport vehicles)
- Ensure that health and safety standards are being met
Ambrose Arts produces between eight and ten productions per season (October – April) and performs in various locations on site and off. This is a part-time 7-month paid contract position.
- Ambrose Employees agree to read the University’s Statement of Faith upon initial appointment and to govern the conduct of his or her work in accordance therewith.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory background criminal check and academic transcripts.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
To apply, please forward a curriculum vitae and cover letter Attention to Dr. Linda Schwartz, Dean of Arts & Science, c/o email@example.com indicating Technical Director in the subject line. Sessional remuneration amount is available upon request. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, and History as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at www.ambrose.edu.
Qualifications: Appropriate mix of skill set and experience
Compensation: Available on request
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org