Tasks and Responsibilities
The Stage Manager will manage an adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s plays with a culturally diverse cast that is at least half female. They will:
- Organize the collaborative process of adapting the play, staging it, and performing it in the venue and on tour
- Be present at all rehearsals to help the actors and the director as they develop the actions of the play.
- Serve as a communication hub for all aspects of production
- Direct the setup of spaces for rehearsal and the tour
- Serve as on the ground point person with the schools when the play tours to schools.
The Director of the play shall supervise the Stage Manager during the creation phase of the play. Once rehearsal is complete, the Artistic Director Mark Henderson shall supervise the Stage Manager by coming to random touring shows, once per week, and observing the workings of the cast under the Stage Manager’s care. The Stage Manager will also file daily show/tour reports which the Artistic Director will read.
Senior Theatre artists Jennifer Spencer and Mark Henderson will mentor the Stage Manager. They will attend rehearsals and meet with the Stage Manager afterward to give advice and positive feedback, based on their experience of having worked with stage managers in multiple professional Shakespeare productions and adaptations.
Ideal for someone with coursework in Theatre Production.
This is an 8-week, full-time position.
Wage is $15.50 an hour.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to email@example.com. The preferred start date for this position is May 1st. 2019