Calling All Artists!
Vertigo Theatre is currently seeking early career theatre artists for professional development opportunities within our 2019-2020 season. We define early career as an individual who has less than 10 years of professional experience in their chosen field. Established artists who are in the early stages of transitioning between disciplines may also apply.
We are seeking applicants for the following paid positions:
- Assistant Directors (2 positions) – On-the-job learning experience assisting the Director of one of Vertigo’s five productions.
- Production Apprentice (2 positions) – Production Apprentices will receive hands-on technical experience assisting the production department mount one of our main five shows. Hands on experience will include lighting, sound, staging, props, paints and more.
- Design Assistants (2 positions) – Support the work of either a set, light, costume, projection, or sound designer on one of Vertigo’s five mainstage productions.
Vertigo is dedicated to the revitalization of the Mystery Theatre genre, and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders. One of Vertigo Theatre’s core values is mentorship. We believe that as an integral part of Calgary’s arts community it is our responsibility to build the capacity among the artists, arts administrators, technicians, and arts companies who make this community their home. With this search for early career artists, we hope to provide access points to engage with a wide variety of theatrical experiences.
Please include the following documents in your application:
- A letter of intent addressing:
- Your interest in Vertigo Theatre;
- A description of your ideal learning experience;
- The skills you hope to develop or gain during your time at Vertigo;
- Questions you’re currently exploring in your artistic practice; and,
- Any preferences for productions you’d like to work on in the 2019-2020 season
- A current resume/CV
- Designers should include a portfolio, link to online portfolio, or samples of your work
These are paid opportunities, with fees in line with the scope and scale of each position. If you have inquiries about a particular position’s fee, your eligibility for the program, or any other questions about this call for applications, please feel free to contact Jenna Rodgers, Artistic Associate at [email protected].
The deadline for this application process is Friday, May 3rd, 2019 at 11:59 MST. We will be in touch in May to set up interviews with successful candidates.