Blarney Productions & You Are Here Theatre
request submissions for
Mr. Burns, a post-electric play
By Anne Washburn
Director: Andrew Ritchie
Musical Director: Mhairi Berg
Choreographer: Ainsley Hillyard
Auditions will be held in Edmonton on April 5 – 6, 2019
This audition call is for Equity & non-Equity members.
This production will be under the CAEA Collective Artist Agreement with a guaranteed honorarium and profit share.
Casting for roles:
- Matt (Lead): Male/Male Identifying, performs as Homer, aficionado of “The Simpsons”
- Jenny (Lead): Female/Female Identifying, performs as Marge & 2nd FBI Agent, fan of “The Simpsons”
- Maria (Lead): Female/Female Identifying, performs as Lisa & 1st FBI Agent, not a fan of “The Simpsons”
- Sam (Lead): All Genders, performs as Itchy and Chorus, Sentry and Stage Hand
- Colleen (Lead): Female/Female Identifying, performs as Scratchy and Chorus, Director, de-facto leader
- Gibson (Lead): Male/Male Identifying, performs as Husband, Sideshow Bob, and Mr. Burns, new comer, fan of Gilbert & Sullivan musicals
- Quincy (Lead): Female/Female Identifying, performs as Bart and Businesswoman, new comer
- Edna (Supporting): Female/Female Identifying, performs as Edna Krabappel, leader of the Chorus
- Ensemble (Chorus): All Genders, perform as part of Greek Chorus
- Seeking strong character actors who are comfortable portraying multiple roles.
- Impressions of Simpsons’ characters and voices an asset.
- All ages and vocal ranges. All roles require singing and dancing.
- Experience with sword stage combat an asset for the following roles: Quincy & Gibson
First rehearsal: Tuesday, November 5, 2019
Opening: Thursday, November 28, 2019
Closing: Saturday, December 8, 2019
In a post-apocalyptic future with no electricity, no food, and no hope humans gather together to retell their favourite Simpsons episodes to survive. Part musical, part dark comedy and all Simpsons. Mr. Burns, a post-electric play presents a possible future when mere cartoon characters are transformed into GODS. Follow a group of survivors through a generation as storytelling evolves in a contemporary allegory that begs the questions what happens to our culture and our storytelling when we lose everything. Indie theatre’s Sterling Award winning Blarney Productions and You Are Here Theatre unite for the first time in the Albertan premiere that takes television’s most famous family nuclear.
Please submit the following information electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Mr. Burns Auditions”:
• Your photo and resume
• The role(s) you would like to audition for
Deadline for submissions: Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5 pm MST.
Please note, for those unable to attend the auditions, video submissions will not be accepted.
Blarney Productions & You Are Here Theatre are committed to diverse, inclusive casting. Qualified performers are encouraged to submit without regard to age, disability, ethno-cultural identity or gender.
- Prepare 1 song from or in the style of Gilbert & Sullivan. 32 bars. Accompaniment will be provided.
- Selected actors will be scheduled for group auditions (sides will be provided) and a movement/fight call
- Blarney & You Are Here will contact those selected for an audition with further information after the submission deadline.