Artistic Producer: Lunchbox Theatre
Lunchbox Theatre in Calgary, Alberta is pleased to invite applications for the position of Artistic Producer. We are looking for a dynamic, innovative and collaborative leader who will build on Lunchbox Theatre’s legacy and advance the company’s focus on developing and producing exceptional one-act plays.
From a foundation of noon-hour performances, Lunchbox Theatre strives to create, produce and disseminate original one-act plays, with a focus on new Canadian works, which examine and explore socially relevant issues in a contemporary context. We strive for a balance between works that reflect our audience and their particular world and those that aim to take the audience to a different place and open their eyes to fresh experiences and new understandings.
Now in its 44th season, Lunchbox Theatre produces six to eight shows per season, runs the RBC Emerging Director program, and produces the three-week Stage One Festival of New Canadian Work, and a touring production, Lunchbox To Go. The theatre has an annual operating budget of approximately $875,000, a staff of 8, and manages its own 105-seat venue at the base of the Calgary Tower. Lunchbox is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres, operating under the Canadian Theatre Agreement, and offers employment to over 100 artists each season and reaches an audience of 16 to 19,000 each year.
Summary of Position:
Beginning in July 2019, the Artistic Producer will be responsible for managing both the daily operations of the theatre, as well as the artistic and financial leadership of the organization. She/he will work with the Board and staff to fulfill the mission and policies of Lunchbox Theatre.
The ideal candidate will have a history of artistic accomplishment and leadership in theatre, exceptional communications skills, and clearly demonstrated enthusiasm for the challenge of developing and producing excellent theatre. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to work in a collaborative, creative environment. Experience in financial management in non-profit arts, knowledge of the Calgary theatre community, and a strong background in theatre development is essential.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Championing the long-term artistic policy and vision of Lunchbox Theatre
- Preparing and managing budgets and reporting to the Board on a monthly basis
- Programming and producing a full season of quality productions plus ancillary activities, including selecting artists and creative teams
- Grant writing at all levels, leading development and fundraising efforts
- Maintaining positive relationships with core funders, sponsors and donors
- Overseeing production, marketing, box office and audience services
- Maintaining Lunchbox’s excellent relations with the audience and community at large
- Seeking opportunities to reach new and diverse audiences
- To be the public face of the company and advocate on its behalf in local and national arenas
- Building relationships and developing partnerships with a variety of organizations
General Qualifications & Skills:
- Proven financial management and experience working within a balanced budget and maintaining a financially healthy professional theatre
- History of artistic accomplishment and ability to develop the artistic vision of the company
- The ability to provide inspirational leadership
- The ability to motivate and build strong relationships with staff, artists, audience, and Board members
- An understanding of the complex relationship between financial management and artistic integrity, and how to create and implement a strategy that marries the two components, ensuring the artistic excellence, future growth and sustainability of Lunchbox Theatre
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Experience producing professional theatre and managing a professional theatre company
- Proven skill in working with funders
- Strong experience with human resource management including creative and production teams and mentoring artists
To apply please email, in PDF format only, a current CV with cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position and salary expectations, along with two professional references to: [email protected]
This is a full-time, salaried position. Application deadline is 15 March 2019. We thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For a full job description, please see our website at: http://www.lunchboxtheatre.com/working-at-lunchbox/