Calling Calgarian Performers and Storytellers!
Apply to be part of
10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk 2019
May 4 & 5, 2019
Create a 10-minute performance to be performed as part of the Jane’s Walk festival in Calgary.
This year, 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk will showcase different perspectives and experiences of Calgarians and will explore the themes of community and identity in Calgary.
Application Deadline: SUNDAY MARCH 10th, 2019 11:59PM
This year 10- Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk will invite six local companies to create and present a 10 minute play focusing on what’s at the “core” of being Calgarian. The performances will showcase different perspectives and experiences of all Calgarians and will explore the themes of community and identity in Calgary.
With support from the Alberta Theatre Projects and The Calgary Foundation, selected companies will present their plays in succession through selected destinations in the downtown Core the weekend of May 4 and 5, the international Jane’s Walk weekend.
Each group will be provided with a $400 fee, and a 1 on 1 dramaturgical session with Alberta Theatre Projects to assist in developing their piece.
The10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk program is open to emerging groups, community-based groups, individual performers, professional theatre companies, and storytellers with some experience creating and producing performances.
- Applications must be received by 11:59pm on March 10, 2019.
- All submissions will be reviewed by the selection committee, comprised of representatives from Alberta Theatre Projects and The Calgary Foundation.
- Successful artists will be announced on March 15, 2019.
- Download the application form here: http://albertatheatreprojects.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2019-10MinutesPlaysforJanesWalk-ApplicationForm-2019.docx
- Send completed application form and supporting documents to :
Artistic Associate Community & Youth Engagement, Alberta Theatre Projects
- Selected companies will be notified by March 15, 2019.
- A dramaturgical consultation will be scheduled for each group on Saturday April 13th
- Selected groups will come together on Friday, May 3, 2019 to review and rehearse their 10-Minute Play for Jane’s Walk.
- Each group will perform their play at their selected destination in the downtown Core at 1pm on May 4 & 5.
What is Jane’s Walk?
Jane’s Walk Calgary has been an initiative of Calgary Foundation since 2008, in partnership with Jane’s Walk International.
They are free, locally-led walking tours inspired by legendary urban activist Jane Jacobs, in which people get together to explore, talk about and celebrate their neighbourhoods. Where more traditional tours are a bit like walking lectures, a Jane’s Walk is a walking conversation. Walks can focus on almost any aspect of a neighbourhood, and on almost any topic you can think of. Walks can be serious or funny, informative or exploratory; they can look at the history of a place, or at what’s happening there right now. Anyone can lead a walk–because everyone is an expert on the place where they live!
Jane Jacobs (1916-2006) was an urbanist and activist whose writings championed a fresh, community-based approach to city building. She saw cities as ecosystems that had their own logic and dynamism which would change over time according to how they were used. With a keen eye for detail, she wrote eloquently about sidewalks, parks, retail design and self-organization. At the core of her work and thinking was the need to get out and walk your city and observe how people, through their actions and interactions, create communities with a strong sense of belonging.
- Alberta Theatre Projects
- Calgary Foundation (the local Calgary organizer of the international Jane’s Walk festival)