The Canmore Summer Theatre Festival (CSTF) is a co-production between Pine Tree Players (PTP), a community theatre group based on Canmore, and Artists’ Collective Theatre (ACT), a Calgary-based theatre company. A unique aspect of the CSTF is that volunteers from PTP act alongside and learn from theatre professionals contracted by ACT.
The CSTF is now taking applications for the 2019 festival auditions. This year, the CSTF team are proud to present William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Robin Hood: Prince of Outlaws adapted by Ben Francis.
Up to eight Mentor Actor positions are available to theatre professionals that can demonstrate professional experience, expertise, and/or post-secondary training. In addition to mentoring volunteer cast members, Mentor Actors perform in each show.
Mentor Actors are eligible for an honorarium of $250 + $180 for travel if they are outside the Bow Valley area.
Auditions will take place March 9th, 10th, 11th 2019 in Canmore, AB. Successful applicants will be asked to prepare two contrasting monologues, one Shakespearean & one contemporary, 2 minutes in length, as well as 15 bars of a song.
Auditions are open to people of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds as well as non-binary/gender non-conforming performers.
Please note past applicants and participants of the CSTF must apply again to be considered.
The dates of the festival are as follows:
Auditions – March 9th, 10th, and 11th, 2019
Rehearsals – April to June 2019, Sundays 11AM-7PM and Mondays 6:30-9:30PM
Tech Rehearsals – All day, July 7th-9th, 2019
Festival Run – July 10th-21st, 2019, Wednesday – Sunday
To be considered, please apply online at http://www.pinetreeplayers.com/mentor.
Application deadline is midnight Mountain Time on March 1, 2019.
Robin Hood: Prince of Outlaws characters:
- Robin Hood (All genders Late Teens-30s) * – Leader of the Outlaws (Merry Men)
- Much, the Millers Son (All genders Mid teens-20s) – Peasant of Nottinghamshire/Steward To Robin Hood/ Outlaw (Merry Man)/ Narrator
- Little John (All genders Early 20s-50’s) * – Outlaw (Merry Man)
- Will Scarlett (All genders Late teens-20s) * – Nephew of Robin Hood/Outlaw (Merry Man)
- Maid Marian (F Late teens – 20s) * – Lady of the Court
- Guy of Gisbourne (All genders 20s-30s) * – Prince John’s Assassin
- Sheriff of Nottingham (All genders 30s-40s) * – Sheriff
- Prince John (All genders Mid teens – 20s) – Prince of England/Younger Brother to King Richard
- Friar Tuck (All genders 40s+) –Friar of Fountains Abbey
- King Richard the Lionheart (All genders 40s and up) – King of England/Older brother to Prince John
- Grandmother Bilberry (F 50s and up) –Peasant of Nottinghamshire
- Fox (All genders 13-15) – Peasant of Nottinghamshire
- Poppy (All genders 4-6) – Peasant of Nottinghamshire
- Jot (All genders 9-12) – Peasant of Nottinghamshire
- Sweets (All genders 9-12) – Peasant of Nottinghamshire
- Dickon & Tobey, two knights (All genders Late teens and up) – Loyal Knights to King Richard
- Oriole & Wren, two maids (F Any Age) – Handmaidens to Maid Marian
*Stage combat is an asset. The roles of Robin Hood and Maid Marian involve mild intimacy.
A Midsummer Night’s Dream characters:
- Theseus/Oberon- (All genders late 20-50’s)* – Duke of Athens/King of the Fairies
- Hippolyta/Titania (M/ Late 20-50)* – Queen of the Amazons/Queen of the Fairies
- Egeus (All genders 30-50+) – father of Hermia
- Hermia (All genders 14+)* – daughter of Egeus, in love with Lysander
- Lysander (All genders 14+)* – in love with Hermia
- Demetrius (All genders 14+)* – suitor to Hermia, former lover of Helena
- Helena (All genders 14+)* – in love with Demetrius
- Peter Quince (All genders 14+) – a carpenter
- Nick Bottom (All genders 14+)* – a weaver
- Francis Flute (All genders 14+) – a bellows-mender
- Tom Snout (All genders 12+) – a tinker
- Snug (All genders 8+) – a joiner
- Robin Starveling (All genders 14+) – A tailor
- Robin “Puck” Goodfellow (All genders 14+) – a mischievous sprite with magical powers
- Peaseblossom, Cobweb, Moth, and Mustardseed (All genders Youth and Adult 8+) – fairy servants to Titania
*Roles involve mild-moderate intimacy