2019 Stage One Festival of New Canadian Work
Call for Submissions
Lunchbox Theatre invites playwrights to submit 55-minute one-act plays for consideration for the 32nd Annual Stage One Festival of New Canadian Work.
All chosen playwrights receive a weeklong workshop including dramaturgical support, with a professional director and actors, followed by a public reading. Successful applicants will receive a $1,000 development fee: $600 during the workshop process and $400 upon receipt of the final draft. Stage One will take place 20 May to 8 June 2019. Funding dependant, up to nine plays will be chosen for development, with three play workshops per week over a three-week period. Successful applicants must be available to attend the full week of workshops and reading. Consideration of the playwright’s availability is given when scheduling the workshops.
If selected for future production, plays must eventually run approximately 55 minutes. Submissions should be suitable for Lunchbox Theatre audiences – excessive use of foul language or nudity may limit the possibility of production. Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with our mandate and recent programming to ensure their submission is appropriate. Lunchbox Theatre is committed to diverse voices and encourages playwrights of all backgrounds to submit.
Rules & Regulations
- Submissions are open to all permanent residents of Canada who have been residents of the country for a minimum of 12 months
- Playwrights may enter more than one script but each script must be accompanied by a separate entry fee
- Entry deadline is 1 March 2019
- Scripts that have been professionally produced are not eligible
- The script must be accompanied by a non-refundable entry fee of $30
- Fees must be paid by cheque or money order made out to Lunchbox Theatre
- Lunchbox Theatre is committed to accessibility. The entry fee may be waived upon request if the fee is a major hurdle to entering the festival. A written request to have the fee waived must be received by 15 February 2019
- All submissions must be in hard copy only
- All submissions should include:
o Playwright’s resume
o History of any development the play has received thus far
o 100 word synopsis of the play
o Minimum 20 pages of the script being submitted, a full script is preferred
Please submit applications in hard copy form to:
Stage One Submissions
160 115 9 Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0P5
If you have any questions, or for more information, please contact Artistic Producer, Samantha MacDonald at [email protected]