In 2020, Cardiac Theatre in partnership with What It Is Productions will present The Alberta Queer Calendar Project: a full-year, January to December endeavour that will see the commission of 12 new plays by queer Albertan writers – one for each month of the year.
Every month a team of artists will assemble to workshop, rehearse, and record each new work in the form of a radioplay, so plays may be accessed from anywhere. Our mission: to cultivate work from a cross-section of diverse, queer, Albertan talent and broadcast it to the world.
Interested in submitting? Read on!
- A Queer identifying writer
- In any stage of your life/career
- A current resident of Alberta (or former resident with heartstrings here)*
*The focus of this project is showcasing queer writers currently living/working in Alberta. That said, we know many folks no longer living here have strong ties to this place (and perhaps a complicated relationship with our province), so we encourage Albertans living elsewhere to submit as well.
- Producers: Jessica Glover, Harley Morison & Liam Salmon.
- Cardiac Theatre – An Alberta-based independent theatre company with big heart.
- What It Is Productions – A team of audio production experts with a passion for theatre and creating conversation about arts and artists.
- Darrin Hagen – Award-winning playwright, composer, author, and drag artiste.
- Sponsors: Downstage, The Nextfest Arts Co., SkirtsAfire (and more to come!) – The fabulous organizations sponsoring this project, who will “host” one of the calendar months and its corresponding writer.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER:
- A writing workshop in 2019.
- A recorded and engineered podcast of a reading of your work.
- An honorarium of $300.
- Should have the ability to be presented in a radio play format (stage directions that need to be read are okay!).
- Is at any stage of conception, new or existing.
- Is minimum 30 minutes in length, and preferably not longer than 2 hours.
- Is in a form that is primarily “dramatic”
- Will be ready for rehearsal/public production in 2020 (at a month agreed upon by the writer and producers).
- Is not restricted to amount of characters in a piece, but should keep in mind a maximum of 4 performers (doubling is okay!).
- Does not have to feature “queer content” – write what you want to write!
YOUR SUBMISSION WILL INCLUDE:
- Basic information: name, age, location, pronouns, and a copy of your CV (or other written summary of your theatre/writing/artist experience).
- A cover letter describing your interest in the Alberta Queer Calendar Project, and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- A description of your proposed play.
- A writing sample (does not have to be from the play/play idea you are submitting!).
Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28, 2019.
Questions? Musings? Things that need to be brought to our attention? Get in touch with us at email@example.com