**THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION HAS BEEN EXTENDED**
Walterdale Theatre is currently celebrating its sixtieth (60th) season of exciting, provocative and high-calibre theatre. Every year, our teams of dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers join together to create full seasons of plays ranging from the classical to the freshly-written; our community includes life-long theatre hobbyists, young emerging artists; and those just curious about the dazzling world of theatre. Walterdale Theatre is a converted historic fire hall right in the middle of Old Strathcona, with an up-to-date and flexible stage and technical system on par with many of the professional theatres in Edmonton. Information about our current and past seasons can be found at www.walterdaletheatre.com.
Walterdale Theatre Associates is looking for an Artistic Director (AD) to lead our 2019-20 and 2020-21 Seasons. The AD is responsible for:
- proposing seasons to the Board of Directors,
- selecting Directors for each play,
- working with Production Managers and Directors to build artistic teams,
- guiding artistic choices and direction with the theatre association,
- being the liaison between Directors and the Board of Directors,
- directing one production per season, and
- representing Walterdale to the general public.
Artistic Directors generally serve a two-year term at Walterdale. Like all artistic positions in the company, the AD is a volunteer position.
Anyone may apply for the position of Artistic Director; however, the best candidate will have experience as a Director outside of Walterdale and/or a history with Walterdale itself (i.e. working on Walterdale productions in various capacities). A familiarity with Walterdale’s recent or extended history would be an asset. Participation in this season’s Diversity and Inclusion Initiative is also recommended.
Applicants should submit the following information:
- A cover letter, explaining why you wish to be Artistic Director;
- A copy of your theatrical résumé;
- A proposal for the 2019-2020 Walterdale season, listing possible plays and describing why each play would be suitable for Walterdale and how the season as a whole will serve Walterdale and its audiences;
- Your contact information (Best email and Best Phone# are essential).
Applications may be mailed to, or dropped off at the theatre at:
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR SEARCH
c/o Eric Rice, Administrator
10322 83 AVE NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 5C3
Applications may also be e-mailed to the theatre’s Administrator, Eric Rice, at [email protected]. Please ask for a confirmation e-mail in return. We cannot guarantee the reliability of e-mail servers.
The deadline for applications is January 5, 2019 (*new deadline*). The applications will be studied by a search committee from Walterdale’s Board of Directors. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed in mid December, and the selection will be made by February 5, 2019 (*new deadline*).
If you have any questions or suggestions about the Artistic Director search, email our current AD, Bethany Hughes, at [email protected]l.com.