Call for Theatre Partner – May 2020, May 2021 and May 2022
Please note: The deadline to submit proposals for partnerships is January 15, 2019
Players de Novo is a volunteer group made up of members of Edmonton’s legal community. For the past 13 years the Players de Novo have organized the production of a play with a cast made up of local lawyers and judges. The objective is to raise funds that are shared equally by a partnering theatre company and Victoria School Foundation for the Arts (our host for the event). Some of our recent theatre company partners include Workshop West Playwrights’ Theatre, Catalyst Theatre, Free Will Players, and Edmonton Opera. The average annual share for each partner (the theatre company and the Victoria School Foundation) is between $35,000 – $40,000 after expenses.
Players de Novo is currently seeking partners for their 2020, 2021, and 2022 productions. To qualify as a theatre partner the organization should be a professional, not-for-profit company, with Canada Revenue Agency status to issue charitable receipts. We may entertain other applicants, but this is our primary target group for theatre partners. CRA status is critical.
What theatre partners provide:
- The artistic direction, suggestions and ultimate decision of the choice of play.
- Administration: this includes keeping records, looking after proceeds, issuing tax receipts (where appropriate), and paying bills
- Stage management
When submitting a pitch to become a theatre partner, it would be helpful to:
- Provide info about your company and why you are submitting. If there is an urgent need, tell us about it (for example, Free Will Players – ‘our tent blew away and now we are forced indoors’). If there is a special project, tell us about it.
- Talk about your proposed director(s).
- Give us your first, second, and third choices for partnering years (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Tell us about your administrative capabilities. The task is a heavy one, with many masters looking for info.
- Propose a play or two, and why you’d want to do them. When selecting a play, please be aware that for our own purposes we want a larger cast show, with hopefully a balance of male and female roles, and with varying age ranges.
- If you want to do a musical let us know what you are thinking
Submit your pitch by email to KEVIN MOTT AT [email protected]