NEW WEST THEATRE invites applications for the permanent fulltime position of:
The premier performing arts organization in Southern Alberta, NEW WEST THEATRE, plays an exciting critical role in the cultural landscape of the region.
NEW WEST THEATRE, currently in its 30th season, provides diverse programming for Lethbridge and South Western Alberta. The company’s artistic offerings include Musicals, original Music-Comedy Revues, contemporary Canadian Plays, several Special Events, and a Theatre for Young Audiences production which tours regionally.
Additionally, NEW WEST THEATRE offers educational programming including Summer Theatre Camps, a Theatre School, and In-School Residencies.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager works with the Artistic Director to deliver long term strategic goals.
- Development: Cultivates relationships with individual and corporate supporters; leads fundraising events and initiatives; applies for all available municipal, provincial, and federal funds.
- Promotion: Develops and implements promotional campaigns for theatre productions and arts-related activities; manages outreach and community engagement activities.
- Financial Management: Collaborates with the Artistic Director and Financial Officer; develops budgets for productions and general operations; monitors short-term and long-term financial strategies to ensure ongoing fiscal stability.
- Administration: Manages the day-to-day operations of the organization; supervising employees, contracted artists, and volunteers.
- Advocacy: Fosters positive relationships with the community, local arts organizations and government agencies.
- Although New West Theatre contracts accounts payable/receivable, payroll, and other day-to-day financial tasks to an accounting service, strong financial knowledge is a must.
Qualifications – Applicants must possess the following:
- Relevant post-secondary education in theatre and/or arts management.
- Experience in the administration of not-profits, preferably theatre companies. Knowledge of policies and best practice for non-profits.
- Experience with budgeting, fundraising, and marketing.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer and social media proficiency.
- Experience with writing Alberta Foundation for the Arts, and other available funding applications, is essential.
- Excellence in organization and leadership skills.
The following are assets:
- Familiarity with the Canadian theatre community and experience with Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and Canadian Actors’ Equity Association.
- Knowledge of the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commission.
- An understanding technical theatre and the requirements of touring.
- Experience in board governance and financial management.
- Attention to detail. Punctuality.
NEW WEST THEATRE is committed to creating an equitable environment, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Please email (in Word or PDF format) a cover letter, CV, and list of references to our Board of Directors at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: NOVEMBER 18.
Interviews: NOVEMBER 19 – 26
Start date: As soon as possible.
COMPENSATION: One-year contract, renewable, subject to a 3-month probationary period. Salary $45,000.00 – $55,000.00, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION IS ATTACHED AND ON THE NEW WEST THEATRE WEBSITE.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
We thank all who apply for the position.