BARE: A POP OPERA
THE COMPANY & THE SHOW:
The Honest Collective is a theatre company in Calgary that works with emerging artists and focuses on honest performances and collaborative storytelling.
Bare: A Pop Opera is set in a Catholic boarding school, Bare is a coming-of-age story about students struggling with relationships, sex, and Shakespeare… A modern love story following a generation navigating through adolescence who just want to be accepted for who they are.
Production: Bare: A Pop Opera by Jon Hartmere and Damon Intrabartolo
Production Dates: February 15, 2019 – February 23, 2019
Audition Dates and Time:
- Thursday, November 15, 2018 – 6:00pm to 10:30pm
- Saturday, November 17, 2018 – 12:00pm to 4:00pm
- Monday, November 19, 2018 – 6:00pm to 9:00pm
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in auditioning, please send a headshot and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate in your email the role(s) you wish to submit for and your availability for the audition dates.
The Honest Collective is committed to inclusive casting. We encourage submissions from artists of all backgrounds, walks of life, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual expression, and/or those who self-identify as a member of underrepresented communities. If any of our application requirements presents a barrier to you, please feel free to contact us or submit an audition video.
FOR THE AUDITION:
Please prepare one musical theatre song (no longer than five minutes), and one monologue (no longer than three minutes) for the auditions. Please also have a second song prepared, just in case we ask to see it. Please have an MP3 track for your song(s) as no piano or accompanist will be provided. Speaker playback only.
If any of these audition requirements present a barrier to you, please email us at email@example.com so that we can work out an accommodation.
Rehearsals will begin January 3rd, 2019 and run three days a week on Thursday nights from 7 – 11pm, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and Monday and Tuesday nights from 6 – 10pm. Detailed rehearsal schedule will be available at the auditions. The rehearsal schedule is compact so performers are expected to come in familiar with the material, as we will be giving out the script and score almost a month in advance to our first rehearsal! Actors must be available for all rehearsal and performance dates, with exceptions made in certain situations for rehearsals. Not all actors will be necessarily called to every rehearsal. We will be doing a profit share for this production.
ROLES / RANGES:
- Jason (Lead) – 16 – 25 – St. Cecilla’s golden boy; handsome, charming, popular jock with a sweet side; Peter’s secret boyfriend; Nadia’s twin brother; closeted, questioning, scared; must be able to believably play a high school senior; Peter’s roommate and best friend. Pop Bari-Tenor Belt.
- Peter (Lead) – 16 – 25 – Jason’s clandestine boyfriend, roommate and best friend; introspective, sensitive, loyal and kind – friend to all; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Pop Tenor Belt.
- Ivy (Lead) – 16 – 25 – Pretty, popular girl who all others envy; can get any guy she wants without even trying; inside is insecure, with a need to be loved; Nadia’s roommate and arch rival; the object of Matt’s obsession; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Soprano Belt.
- Nadia (Supporting) 16 – 25 – Jason’s twin sister and often in his shadow, outcast; rebel with sardonic, caustic wit; Ivy’s roommate and arch rival; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Pop Soprano Belt.
- Matt (Supporting) 16 – 25 – studious and pious academic and athletic rival to Jason; despite his best efforts, always comes in second; obsessed with Ivy; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Tenor Belt.
- Lucas (Supporting) – 16 – 25 – St. Cecillia’s fun loving purveyor of altered reality, a dealer, rap skills a plus; comedic bad boy of the group; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Baritone.
- Claire (Supporting) 30 – 55 – Peter’s mother, loving, in denial of Peter’s sexuality, wants to help and support him but doesn’t know how. Soprano.
- Sister Chantelle (Supporting) 30 – 50 – Must exude sass and confidence, needs to own the room every time she’s in it. Does not tolerate incompetence or failure. Expects the best from her students. At times she’s very crass, but she’s also a Nun. Mezzo/Soprano. Must be comfortable with riffing/vocal ad lib and gospel singing.
- Father/Priest (Supporting) – 30 – 60 – St. Cecillia’s headmaster, traditionalist, voice of authority, yet friendly and caring for his students. Baritone.
- Tanya (Featured) – 16 – 25 – Student and Lucas’s girlfriend, backup singer to Sister Chantelle; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Soprano.
- Kyra (Featured) 16 – 25 – Student, backup singer to Sister Chantelle; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Alto.
- Diane (Featured) 16 – 25 – Student, very naive, ever cheerful; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Alto.
- Rory (Featured) 16 – 25 – Student, sarcastic; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Soprano.
- Zack (Featured) 16 – 25 – Student, jock, not the brightest bulb; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Baritone.
- Alan (Featured) 16 – 25 – Nerdy student type; must be able to believably play a high school senior. Tenor.