**THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED**
Theatre Calgary is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, connected, resourceful team player who thrives in a fast-paced, hands-on, creative environment to be its new Vice President Audience Development. With the goal of increasing revenue, the Vice President will foster collaboration and development amongst the marketing, communications, learning and engagement and audience services teams.
Theatre Calgary’s vision is to stand amongst the best theatres globally as a leader in innovative, impactful and diverse programming. Its mission is to stimulate, provoke and delight through ambitious programming created to ignite, local, national and international engagement.
Theatre Calgary reflects the communities, the country, and the world we live in with ambitious programming, passionate community engagement, and extraordinary productions. As a result, we are one of the most recognizable arts and cultural institutions in Canada. For over50 years, we have focused our energy on providing our community with quality classic and contemporary productions, featuring the best talent on our mainstage. Today, we are Calgary’s largest professional theatre company and a proud supporter of local emerging artists with bold aspirations for the future.
Theatre Calgary is a model of strong fiscal management in the Canadian arts sector. With over 60 percent of operating revenue coming from non-governmental sources and a strong endowment fund, the theatre is poised to enter the next stage of growth.
The Position Summary:
Reporting to the Executive Director and supported by a dynamic team of 11, the Vice President Audience Development is charged with the strategy, implementation, evaluation, and achievement of the revenue and audience goals. The Vice President is responsible for developing long and short-term marketing, communications and outreach plans in support of Theatre Calgary’s performances and events, managing the company’s brand identity both internally and externally, and providing consistent and clear leadership to a dedicated team.
The Vice President Audience Development is responsible for subscription and single ticket sales campaigns, advertising, brand, audience development, internal and external communications, education and outreach programs, forecasts, budget oversight, publications, public relations, and social media. The Vice President works closely with the Artistic Director, Producer, Director of Communications, Director of Development, Director of Finance and the Senior Manager of Learning and Engagement and the Audience Services Manager.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a creative environment and has experience with: strategic planning, campaign development and brand development, in addition to managing teams, and special events.
- Plan and implement marketing, communications and outreach strategies to strengthen ticket sales and increase customer retention to achieve a combined subscription and single ticket sales target of approximately $7 million annually;
- Support and guide the development of marketing strategies to promote the success of Sponsorship and Fund Development goals;
- Increase the brand affinity of Theatre Calgary through effective media strategies;
- Penetrate Theatre Calgary further into all communities within Calgary through outreach strategies;
- Analyze sales and market trends;
- Develop and manage the department budget;
- Contribute to season and strategic planning;
- Work cooperatively with the Development Director to support Theatre Calgary’s development goals.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, optimistic and have worked in a dynamic environment where they have experience delivering on multiple priorities and will hold the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 10 years marketing and communications experience including a strong understanding of web-based and social media marketing techniques;
- Demonstrated track record of inclusive and strategic leadership, vision, collaboration and team building with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, and creativity;
- Demonstrated success in building strategic marketing plans that deliver return on investment;
- Ability to develop and implement risk management strategies;
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit environment, and an appreciation of the performing arts, especially theatre;
- Understanding and knowledge of community outreach would be considered an asset;
- Proficiency in Tessitura or other ticketing software would be considered an asset; and
- Exceptional communication, customer service, time management skills with the ability to prioritize and keen attention to detail.
- A proactive and dynamic professional who inspires confidence and credibility; has a strategic orientation and an honest, transparent and collaborative leadership style;
- A genuine commitment to help grow an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish;
- Dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts;
- A strong results-oriented work ethic;
- Ability to solve complex problems;
- Strong communication and time management skills;
- A confident, calm, and tactful professional approach with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people and with changing internal and external conditions;
- A pragmatic and effective problem-solver;
- A commitment to contribute to the Calgary community.
Theatre Calgary offers a unique and exciting work environment, a robust total compensation package and the opportunity for advancement and employee training. Salary commensurate with experience.
Commitment to Diversity:
Theatre Calgary is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and operates within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Theatre Agreement.
Theatre Calgary is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We recognize that a diverse staff enriches the environment and culture of our entire organization and our larger community. As such, we are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society.
We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our organization’s diversity. We welcome applications from all qualified persons and encourage all those who may contribute to the further diversification of our ideas and perspectives to apply.
How To Apply:
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com