Walterdale Theatre “From Cradle to Stage” 2018-19 Submissions Request
Edmonton’s foremost community theatre company is now accepting submissions for its annual new work event, From Cradle to Stage. For over a decade, Walterdale Theatre has been producing original plays by local playwrights as a part of its main stage season. In celebration of our 60th Anniversary Season we are doing something a little different.
This Day, which was submitted for last year’s competition was selected in advance for development this year. It’s a musical by Matt Graham and Sue Goberdhan and will receive dramaturgy from Anne Marie Szucs over the fall and winter to be ready for audition by the end of January 2019.
Collaboration Project: For the second piece to be developed, in honour of the 60th Season, we are looking for monologues and scenes about your Walterdale (and other community theatre) experiences. Selected playwrights will work with Facilitator Kristen M. Finlay to construct a collective piece celebrating Walterdale.
Deadline for all submissions is midnight October 30th, 2018.
- Selected playwrights will work with the facilitator over the fall and winter the 2018-19 season to have an audition-ready collective piece by the end of January 2019.
- Finished scripts will be paired up with directors and production teams by December 2018.
- Both plays will be produced May 13-18, 2019.
Submit a monologue or short scene in the theme of “Walterdale Memories”. You can submit more than one piece, but please submit as a combined package (we may not use all scenes/monologues submitted).
- Scripts must be typed or printed, with spaces between all speaking parts. Include your name and contact info on the first page of the script, and number your pages.
- Along with the script, please include a brief bio (50 words or less) which Walterdale will use for publicity purposes if your play is chosen.
- For the purpose of this competition, “local” indicates a resident of the Edmonton Area. This includes satellite communities such as Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Sherwood Park, St. Albert, and Leduc. If you are unsure if you geographically qualify to submit, please do not hesitate to inquire via email.
There are two ways to submit:
Email a digital copy (pdf is preferred) of your scripts to Bethany Hughes, Artistic Director at [email protected] with From Cradle to Stage 2018-19 in the subject line.
Hard-copy Scripts can be mailed to (do not send your original or ‘only’ copy):
From Cradle to Stage 2018-19
10322 83 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6E 5C3
Attention: Bethany Hughes, Artistic Director
All submissions must be received by midnight November 15, 2018. Do not submit your original copy. If you want your script returned to you, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Unselected scripts without a SASE will be recycled.