Walterdale Theatre Associates
Leave of Absence
by Lucia Frangione
Onstage: February 6—16, 2019
Director: Alix Reynolds
Stage Manager: Louise Mallory
Audition Location: Walterdale Theatre
Audition Dates: October 14 & 15, 2018, 6 – 10 pm
Callbacks: October 20, 2018, 1 – 4 pm
The booming bedroom community outside a large Canadian city is blown apart when fifteen-year-old Blake challenges long-held views of spirituality and sexuality. A student at the local Catholic high school, Blake confides in her best friend, Tracy. At first encouraged, and then rebuffed, Blake is eventually betrayed. Then, increasingly at risk among her peers, Blake finds the watchful and strict eyes of her Catholic school offer no protection.
- All genders and ethnicities welcome.
- Ryan: Late fifties, a Roman Catholic priest, cerebral.
- Greta: Late thirties, single mom, counsellor at a women’s shelter, sloppy beautiful.
- Leap (Filipp): Forty, a former Russian boxer, does construction, physically immaculate. (Russian accent is an asset)
- Martha (Miss Woods): Early fifties, school principal and church worship leader, a velvet hammer. (This character sings live on stage. Preference given to Person of Colour)
- Blake: Fourteen, Greta’s daughter, awkward. (Preference given to young performers)
- Please prepare a short contemporary monologue no more than 3 minutes length.
- Please prepare a short song of any genre, no more than 3 minutes length, if considering the role of
- Please prepare to perform a cold-reading from provided sides.
Please bring the following to the Audition:
– Theatrical Resume
– Any conflicts within rehearsal window (November 4, December 6-20, January 3 – February 6 and performances February 6-16)
Sign up for auditions by emailing email@example.com and stating “Leave of Absence Audition” in the subject line.
Walterdale Theatre is committed to inclusive casting. Artists who are members of under-represented communities are greatly encouraged to audition.
Walterdale Theatre is a volunteer organization and cannot engage Equity performers.