Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre presents:
Calgary Theatre in Flux: a forum about our future
Sunday, September 9, 2018 – 7:00-9:00 pm
Vertigo Theatre (161, 115 9 Ave SE)
Supported by the Rozsa Foundation and Assembly (Chromatic Theatre, Lunchbox Theatre, Shakespeare Company & Vertigo Theatre)
It’s been an intense – and, in some ways, disheartening – few months for Calgary’s theatre scene. Let’s take a breath, take a step back, and talk about it.
Calgary Theatre in Flux: a forum about our future is an attempt to zoom out and look at our current situation in context. The forum will include:
– THE NUMBERS: Emiko Muraki (until recently the Director of Community Investment & Impact at Calgary Arts Development) will present data around demographics (of theatre leadership and audiences), funding and more.
– CALGARY THEATRE IN CONTEXT: A panel of longtime, trailblazing members of Calgary’s theatre communities will paint a picture of the local scene as it developed from the 1960s onward. The panel will include Duval Lang, Sharon Pollock and other awesome soon-to-be-announced panelists!
– LOOKING AHEAD: A panel of artists and arts workers who are blazing new trails today, and working to re-shape the theatre sector in the years and decades to come. The panel will include Stafford Arima, Justin Many Fingers and Jenna Rodgers.
– CALLS TO ACTION: Some concrete requests and ideas that we can collectively move forward.
– DISCUSSION & DIALOGUE: Stick around at the end to share your own ideas, meet new people and keep the dialogue going!
Also, attendees will receive copies of a special-edition zine (yes! a zine!) featuring thoughts about the future of Calgary’s theatre scene from exciting local artists, ages 25 and younger, including:
– Maya Green
– Samantha Ketsa & Emily Sunderland
– Yousuf Liepert
– Arash Minhas & Noah Baker
– Jay Northcott
– Mikenzie Page
– Kodie Rollan
– Matthew Oliver van Diepen
– Sarah Uwadiae
… and more!
… and direct any questions to [email protected]. See you Sunday!