Springboard Performance and Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre are seeking artists to create original work for Body in Space: An Art Party, running October 26-27, 2018, at the Fluid Movement Arts Festival in Calgary, Alberta.
AUGUST 7, 2018 – 5:00 PM (Mountain Time)
Body in Space will take over cSPACE King Edward (1721 29th Avenue SW) – an historic school building turned arts and community hub – for two nights, hosting original performances or other artistic experiences in surprising and unexpected locations (washrooms, storage rooms, offices, etc.). The Art Party Hub will be hosted in the cSPACE main lobby and/or theatre. From there, audiences will be invited to partake in up to eight different performances/experiences occurring throughout the building.
Successful applicants will receive a budget of $500 to create an original performance or experience. The work created should respond to the space in which it takes place, and should reflect the presenting companies’ mandates: to celebrate movement and to create productive discomfort. The performances can be of varied durations and audience capacities, and will be accessed in different ways from the Art Party Hub.
Applicants must be available for the following dates (subject to change):
– August 24 or 25: Space selection and artist meet-up
– September 15: Peer show & tell workshop session
– October 6: Peer show & tell workshop session
– October 25-27: Dress rehearsal & performances
Applications are open to individuals or groups, and artists of all disciplines who are curious about the politics of the body in space and site-specific performance. Artists of colour, indigenous artists and/or artists from LGBTQ2+ communities are heartily encouraged to apply.
In your submission, please include:
– A brief description of your artistic practice and what attracts you to creating for Body in Space;
– Any initial ideas you may have for the piece (with the understanding that they will likely change and develop);
– An artistic resume for each team member; and
– Additional materials, including: photos, videos, writing samples, surprises.
To apply: please e-mail submission to Katherine at [email protected] with the header: Body in Space Submission.
Application deadline: August 7, 2018, at 5:00 pm (Mountain Time).
If you are interested in applying but these requirements create a barrier, please contact us via email at [email protected] so we can figure out something that works for you.