Job Opportunity: Tour Booking Agent
Overview of Position:
This is a unique opportunity to start a theatre touring agency based in Calgary, with a secure salary and dedicated mentorship for 2 years.
Ghost River Theatre has formed a partnership with the Old Trout Puppet Workshop, Downstage and Inside Out Theatre to address the vital gap of touring support for Calgary-based creation companies. We are seeking an individual who is a self-starter with an in-depth knowledge of the national and international performing arts ecologies. We will collectively assist, train and support the right individual, and have secured a two-year grant to kickstart this project.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who is naturally sociable and whose enthusiasm for and knowledge of the performance arts can inspire our diversity of clients. This individual is a master of following up and is highly organized with tracking leads, artists, and bookings in order to meet their goals. They are able to think outside of the box and be nimble to the changing dynamics of the industry. They can gracefully manage all artistic personalities and cultures, acting as an advisor and advocate to bring quality Arts to audiences globally. This is a full-time position that reports to the GM of Ghost River Theatre company, and collaborates with all of the companies.
- Develop sustainable relationships with North American and International presenters, promoters, and presenting organizations through a variety of communication channels (email, phone, and occasional in-person meetings)
- Forge dialogue with clients to secure engagements and negotiate fees for the companies’ productions.
- Understand the financial needs of each artist/project, and negotiate the most advantageous terms on their behalf while simultaneously meeting presenter’s needs.
- Ensure the booking process for each engagement from beginning to end is fully communicated with the artist and admin team.
- Create budgets, contribute to internal tracking systems consistently.
- Re-negotiate and problem solve as needed.
- Assist clients in brainstorming marketing ideas to increase ticket sales when needed
- Help team meet organization-wide sales goals on monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis
- Engage in a variety of lead-generating activities, including national and regional conference attendance
Artistic Knowledge, Touring, and Advising:
- Learn, reference, and internalize roster information (artists’ brands, notable distinctions and achievements, performance history, career goals, possible limitations, etc.)
- Work with artist or manager to strengthen publicity materials, performance programs, and publicity campaigns
- Share interesting or potentially viable opportunities (scholarships, grants, non booking-oriented opportunities) with artists, or with company management
- Participate in talent scouting efforts as needed
- Represent Calgary and its artists in a professional and positive manner
- Work with the Calgary team collaboratively to assist in proper record-keeping and effective workflow using tools and technology created for the remote office environment
- Take initiative and leadership for an array of projects that combine booking with other elements of our artist representation work
- Collaborate and contribute actively within a forward-thinking team and fast-growing company environment, while staying accountable to regular workflow commitments.
- Ability to thrive in a remote office environment
- Extensive knowledge of performing arts festivals, preferably with past experience in a producing or curatorial role
- Natural people-person with a knack for sales
- Self-directed with the ability to work independently
- Ability to prioritize, handle multiple deadlines, and track leads
- Professional phone manner and demeanor
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Positive attitude and grace under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with exemplary follow-through
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Google suite of online apps, and/or ability to learn and utilize web-based software quickly
- Clear alignment with the company’s artist-centered approach
COMPENSATION & CONTRACT DETAILS
This is a full-time position with a salary of $40,000.00 plus the opportunity for commission. The successful candidate will be able to work a flexible full time schedule from a home office, including periods of extensive travel. The contract will start in mid-August to early September depending on candidate availability, but requires attendance at the Western Arts Alliance Conference in Las Vegas from August 27-30, 2018 (with funding provided).
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume by 5:00 pm on July 20, 2018 to Kate Stadel, General Manager, Ghost River Theatre, at email@example.com.