Theatre companies, collectives, solo artists and groups!
10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk- Summer Programming 2018
Create a 10-minute performance piece inspired by Calgary’s downtown core.
Perform your piece this summer on Calgary’s historic Stephen Ave this August.
The group that brought you 10 Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk is partnering with Downtown Calgary to perform 10-Minute Plays along Calgary’s Stephen Avenue this summer.
Several performers from this year’s 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk will reprise the work they created and performed during Jane’s Walk this past May; however there is an opportunity for up to 2 more groups to create and perform a 10-Minute Play.
Three plays will be performed each day, in succession (30 minutes of programming). Length of the program depends on the time it takes for walkers to get to each play destination. Each performance day will be no more than 60 minutes total.
Stephen Avenue inspires reflection on what it means to be a city, what it means to be the core of a city. There are many potential themes such as; What does this patch of land mean in the historic and contemporary context of Treaty 7? What does its architecture say? What historic figures are remembered on this street? What does it mean to office workers on their lunch break or theatregoers on a Saturday night?
- Fill out the Application Form!
- Applications must be received by 11:59pm on June 24, 2018.
- Applicants must provide an overview of the theme that inspires their piece. Ideas include folklore, history, urban planning, a particular building, community or person, Reconciliation.
- Companies/artists must identify where they would like to perform their 10-minute play (between 1st Avenue and Arts Commons/ATP)
- All submissions will be reviewed by the selection committee, comprised of representatives from Theatre Junction Grand, and Alberta Theatre Projects. Selected companies will be notified by June 29th, 2018.
- The chosen artist/company must be available to perform their 10-Minute Play on these dates:
- Wednesday, August 8, 3-4pm
- Saturday, August 11, 12-1pm
- Wednesday, August 22, 3-4pm
- Saturday, August 25, 12-1pm
- Wednesday, August 29, 3-4pm
- Selected aritsts/groups will be given a $400 honorarium as thanks for their participation.
- 10-Minute Plays can focus on any aspect of the downtown core, but plays will be performed along Stephen Avenue.
- 10-Minute Plays will begin at/near 1 street SW and conclude a at/near ATP.
- 10-minute Plays for Jane’s Walk will be promoted as part of Downtown Calgary’s Summer programming – but selected groups are also encouraged to promote their play and performance schedule with their supporters, friends, and community.
- 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk is open to professional theatre companies and emerging groups, non-professional community-based groups, performers, storytellers, etc, with some experience creating and producing performances.
- Theatre Junction
- Alberta Theatre Projects
- Calgary Foundation (the local Calgary organizer of the international Jane’s Walk festival)
- Downtown Calgary
What is Jane’s Walk?
Jane’s Walk is a global festival of free, locally organized walking tours through which people explore, talk about, and celebrate their neighbourhoods. Named after Jane Jacobs, an author and activist who championed a fresh community-based approach to city building, the walks take place around the world on the first full weekend of May. Jane’s Walk in Calgary is organized by Calgary Foundation. Details here: http://calgaryfoundation.org/
- Complete this application (http://atplive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/10-minute-plays-summer-application-1.pdf)
- Add supporting documentation as indicated; combine into one PDF
- Email the PDF to Jewel@theatrejunction.com with the subject line 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk
Application Deadline: Sunday, JUNE 24, 2018 11:59PM MST