The Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Arts Awards Foundation today announced awards totaling $100,000 to the 10 recipients of its 2018 Emerging Artist Award.
Her Honour, the Honourable Lois E. Mitchell, CM, AOE, LLD, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta presented the medals and awards at a private ceremony at Government House on Edmonton June 1.
We are thrilled to report that Theatre Alberta’s board vice-president Jenna Rodgers was one of the award recipients. Jenna has been a great asset to our organization and we are very proud of her accomplishment!
The two other theatre artists that received Emerging Artist awards were Theatre Outre’s Brett Dahl (2007, 2008 Artstrek participant), and Light in the Dark Theatre’s Emily Marisabel (2017 Emerge Participant and previous Artstrek participant). Congratulations to all of you, and to all the recipients honoured at the ceremony!
2018 Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Emeging Artist Award Recipients
- Ali Bryan, writer, Calgary
- Brett Dahl, theatre artist, Calgary
- Emily Marisabel, theatre artist, Claresholm (Edmonton)
- Jared Darcy Tailfeathers, multidisciplinary artist, Calgary
- Jenna K. Rodgers, theatre artist, Calgary
- Kelton Stepanowich, filmmaker, Ft. McMurray
- Lizzie Derksen, writer, Edmonton
- Pamma FitzGerald, visual artist, Calgary
- Roydon Tse, composer, Edmonton (Toronto)
- Timothy Brennan Steeves, violinist, Strathmore
These 10 recipients were selected from 147 applications in a two-tiered adjudication process overseen by The Banff Centre. The adjudication panel included: Mark Bellamy, theatre director; Mel Kirby, manager, Calgary Opera Emerging Artist Development Program; Jane Ash Poitras, visual artist, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta 2011 Distinguished Artist; Thomas Trofimuk, novelist, poet.