Director of Marketing and Communications
Calgary’s Lunchbox Theatre, the longest running lunchtime theatre in the world, strives to continually expand and develop talent from the local arts community. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower in the heart of downtown, Lunchbox Theatre injects an hour of premium entertainment and delight into every audience at both lunchtime and evening performances.
To bring these productions to life, Lunchbox Theatre employs 6-8 permanent staff members, as well as the hundreds of artists and volunteers involved in each season.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs designed to meet or exceed the theatre’s ticket revenue and attendance goals. The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for creating and overseeing all marketing campaigns and initiatives including coordinating with Box Office and Audience Services staff on those initiatives. The Director of Marketing and Communications will also coordinate the flow of information among patrons, staff, artists, and volunteers to ensure ongoing smooth operations.
This position reports to the Artistic Producer.
- In concert with the Artistic Producer and the Board of Directors, develop innovative and aggressive marketing campaigns to promote and publicize the theatre and its related activities, and increase attendance and public awareness throughout the community
- Seasonal promotion including cultivating and maintaining the theatre brand and each season’s branding
- Write press releases and public service announcements on a regular basis, distribute information for each production and special event as well as all newsworthy events and activities engaged in by the Theatre, to Calgary media and elsewhere
- Create, manage, and regularly post content for all social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Regular management of theatre website including day to day updates of all content
- Source and coordinate interviews and photo calls with the media for each show and special events
- Write, produce and coordinate the production of all marketing and promotional materials, including by not limited to: the show program and poster for each production; the e-newsletter; and any additional flyers and brochures
- Work with all photographers, designers, printers and contracted services as necessary as well as ensuring the most competitive prices for these services
- Design or coordinate camera-ready advertisements for each production and all additional special events and activities that require promotion and advertising
- Design or coordinate window displays, signage and exhibition displays to promote the Theatre and its productions.
- Manage and maintain the annual Marketing budget, in consultation with the Artistic Producer
- Coordinate creation and distribution of the Opening Day and Preview invitations with the Box Office Manager
- Attend Board meetings as may be required by the Artistic Producer and/or Board of Directors and/or Board Committees
Patrons and Donors
- Track daily and seasonal ticket sales and trends
- Maintain accurate records of patron, donor and other mailing lists
- Oversee and facilitate all donation requests
- Design and production of all materials related to Fund Development
- Work with Development Associate on coordination of any initiatives related to Fund Development
- Works with staff and board committees as required
- Assists with special events
- Other duties as required
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and in close connection with a small team
- Ability to design and create various promotional materials. Experience with Adobe Suite preferred
Lunchbox Theatre offers a positive, high-energy work environment. We strive to reflect the diversity of our society in our staffing and encourage applicants of all backgrounds and identities. This is a salaried position with benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
If you would like to join our team, please forward your resume, cover letter, and two references in PDF formant only by email to:
Email: [email protected]
Lunchbox Theatre thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Application deadline: Friday, 27 April 2018
Tentative start date: Monday, 4 June 2018