EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Fixed Term Employment Contract
CONTRACT DATES: March 5, 2018-March 1, 2019, with the possibility of extension
HOURS: Part-time (roughly 15 hours per week; exact scheduling is flexible and may demand more of the position in some months than others)
REPORTING TO: Artistic Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 2, 2018
Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre is seeking a Business Badass (our cheeky equivalent to a General Manager) to join our team of Cyclists, beginning March 5, 2018 in Calgary, Alberta.
Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre recently celebrated its tenth anniversary. It was founded in 2006 by Co-Artistic Directors Mark Hopkins and Charles Netto; in 2018, Charles will move on to new adventures and Mark will step into the role of Artistic Director. The Business Badass will help us embark upon a new decade of fearless performance alongside Artistic Director Mark Hopkins, Artistic Accomplice Kevin Jesuino, and Administrative Assassins Nathan Huisman, Kris Teo and Alicia Ward.
Swallow-a-Bicycle is known for creating original theatre in unusual locations, for presenting site-specific and post-dramatic performances, and for offering professional development workshops. The company is in the process of adopting a new set of guiding principles (www.swallowabicycle.com/guiding-principles-draft) that, when finalized, will offer a lens through which all artistic and administrative decisions will be viewed. For more on the history of Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre, visit www.swallowabicycle.com/sab-history.
The Business Badass is responsible for fulfilling – and, when necessary, challenging and reinventing – various administrative and organizational tasks in collaboration with the SaB team. Tasks may include:
- Writing government and foundation grants
- Seeking, securing and managing new funding opportunities
- Managing casino fundraisers
- Stewarding the organization’s financial health
- Preparing annual and production budgets
- Bookkeeping and preparation of financial statements
- Cash flow analysis and updates
- Managing payroll and source deductions
- Managing annual filings to CRA, AGLC, Government of Alberta, etc.
- Website and social media maintenance
- Liaising with and supporting the Board of Directors
- Managing ticket sales and/or registrations
- Recruiting volunteers
- Supporting marketing and publicity
- Writing artist agreements
… basically, all of the things that keep a scrappy indie arts company chugging along! While much of the work is, by necessity, pretty conventional, we’re also interested in finding new ways to operate in more equitable, impactful and socially responsible ways, and the Business Badass will be at the heart of those efforts.
The ideal candidate has…
- Experience with and/or enthusiasm for arts and non-profit administration.
- Strong organizational and task-management skills, often in a self-directed and detail-oriented manner.
- The ability to confidently bring projects at various levels of development through to completion.
- An affinity for boundary-pushing art, often site-specific, interdisciplinary, community-engaged and/or post-dramatic.
- A passion for independent producing/performing, and all of the associated joys and challenges.
- A willingness to challenge convention and shit-disturb.
- We encourage a wide range of applicants to submit for this position. If you’re on the fence, apply anyway! People of colour and/or from LGBTQ+ communities are heartily encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit:
- CV highlighting administrative experience
- A letter, or audio or video recording, that includes…
- Information about your experience in arts and/or non-profit administration and organizational management.
- Why you want to work with Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre.
- Your thoughts on SaB’s draft guiding principles (available here: www.swallowabicycle.com/guiding-principles-draft).
- Any support materials (or surprises!) relevant to the application.
- Short-listed candidates will also be asked to provide a minimum of two references.
If you are interested in the position but these requirements create a barrier to applying, please contact us via phone (403.710.0093), email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or post (#4 714 5A St NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1R4) so we can figure out something that works for you.
Email applications to email@example.com with the subject: Business Badass Application
DEADLINE: Submissions must be received by Friday, February 2, 2018 at 6:00 pm (MST)
“A playwright lives in an occupied country. He’s the enemy. And if you can’t live like that, you don’t stay. It’s tough. He’s got to be able to take a whack, and he’s got to swallow bicycles and digest them.” – Arthur Miller, 1915-2005