Through the generous support of the RBC Foundation, Alberta Playwrights’ Network is pleased to announce the 2018 RBC Emerging Artists Mentorship Program. The program is designed to provide individual and project development to emerging and mid-career playwrights, through mentorship from our roster of professional playwrights.
Applications for the program will be accepted until Monday, January 22, 2018. Applicants must come with a play, or an idea for a play they wish to work on through the mentorship. Participants will be selected by the Mentorship Committee and APN Staff. There are 10 available spots (5 in Calgary & 5 in Edmonton). Residents from other communities are encouraged to apply as well.
Once selected, participants will be matched with a mentor. There will be an event in February where participants will have an opportunity to meet their mentor in person, as well as meeting the other participants in the program. Past mentors have included Meg Braem, Marty Chan, Conni Massing, Mieko Ouchi, Sharon Pollock, David van Belle & Collin Doyle.
The program will last from February to July of 2018. There will be a minimum of 8 meetings throughout the mentorship. Due to the variety of individual schedules, mentors and participants will decide on their own schedule of meetings. There will also be two group meetings and at least one professional development event in each city. Participants will be expected to attend these meetings and events. The program culminates in a public presentation of excerpts from the plays worked on through the process.
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- A cover letter that includes a synopsis of their history as a playwright, and a list of goals and outcomes they wish to attain through the program.
- A brief synopsis of the project they wish to be developed through the process.
- A writing/production resume (if you have one).
- A shortlist of your favourite plays & playwrights.
- Payment of a $25.00 application fee. If you are selected, this fee will go towards your program tuition. If you are not selected, the money will be refunded to you.
There is a course fee of $300.00 to cover the cost of space rental, administration, and other program expenses. Applications can be mailed to: Alberta Playwrights’ Network, 331 41st Avenue NE, Calgary, AB, T2E 2N4. They will also be accepted by email at [email protected], but will not be considered complete until the application fee is received.