Alberta Playwrights’ Network’s YOUth Riot – now in its fourth year – is a FREE opportunity for Calgary’s Queer youth to rise against the status quo and learn to share their voices through the art of theatre!
Over the course of 3 months, Alberta Playwrights’ Network and guest artists will facilitate a playwriting program for Queer teens, helping them tell their stories through the medium of 10-minute text for performance. Designed to ignite creativity in teens, YOUth Riot provides valuable tools to foster confidence, acceptance, and positive self-image through workshops, mentorship, and skill-building sessions.
YOUth Riot finishes with a public festival of short plays written by the participants and staged by professional actors and directors from the theatre community.
YOUth Riot runs every Thursday at 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM from February 22nd – May 3rd, 2018. All meetings are at CommunityWise Resource Centre, 223 12th Avenue SW.
Although the program is free, people will need to apply to get through!
- Do you identify within the LGBTQQAIP2S+ spectrum?
- Are you between the ages of 14-21 years old?
- Do you want to create art with like-minded teens from across the city?
- Are you interested in learning creative ways to share your story?
- Do you want to learn from some of the best theatre artists in Calgary?
Then WE WANT YOU for YOUth Riot!
TO APPLY, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 4th at Midnight!
Be sure to include the following information:
- Home Address
- Phone Number
- Postal Code
- Preferred Pronouns (if any)
- Dietary Restrictions (if any)
- Medical Conditions (if any)
- Anything else you’d like us to know about you?
Include a 500-1000 word Statement of Interest answering the question: Why do YOU want to participate in YOUth Riot?