Search for Director of Business Operations
Quest Theatre is seeking a Director of Business Operations to help lead the company. The Director of Business Operations will work in collaboration with the Artistic Director and answer equally to the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will embody the financial and organizational skill set necessary to oversee the administrative and production-related aspects required in a Theatre for Young Audiences Company. He/She will be capable of leading an innovative and dynamic organization, dedicated to delivering exceptional adventures in Theatre for Young Audiences. This is a full time position offering a competitive salary with health benefits and RRSP contributions.
Our Director of Business Operations will be a visionary with a strong sense of the multi-faceted organizational demands of a smaller arts organization in financially challenging times. Dedicated, determined and resilient, the ideal candidate will have a clear vision for the company’s sustainability and growth within a financially viable business model.
A proven leader, the ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills for dealing with the public, staff, and other related organizations and stakeholders both within and outside the arts community. Superior problem solving skills to deal with issues that may relate to HR and the management of staff and contractors in a fast paced environment are crucial. He/She would preferably have an established reputation for service in the theatre community and the broader arts community as a whole.
While the ideal candidate would have a University/College degree in arts administration or management, any candidate with the right practical experience, dedication and enthusiasm will be considered for the position. Previous experience in a theatre related managerial role would be considered an asset.
Our Director of Business Operations will be comfortable working in a not-for-profit arts organization. He/She will understand the process of strategic planning and the necessity for fiscal responsibility and effective Board governance. He/She will respect the structure of a partnership-based senior management team that includes working closely with the Artistic Director. He/She will be expected to liaise closely with marketing and sponsorship contractors and assist with fundraising initiatives.
- Work in collaboration with the Artistic Director to plan forthcoming events, applying knowledge of audiences and theatre trends while ensuring a balance between different types of productions;
- liaise and negotiate with artistic contractors and key stakeholders in the local and national community, theatre community and artistic partnerships;
- take responsibility for all staff/contractors, who may be involved in areas such as marketing/sponsorship, finance and artistic production;
- oversee training for administrative staff and maintain effective and relevant employee policies and procedures;
- liaise closely with the theatre’s Board of Directors;
- execute the development, implementation and follow through of multi-year strategic and operational plans as approved by the Board;
- prepare monthly financials and quarterly financial updates for the Board
- in collaboration with the Artistic Director, create annual and 3-year budgets as part of the business plan;
- •ensure that the theatre meets the requirements of legislation such as health and safety and licensing laws,
- report to all regulatory and funding bodies as required, including Canada Revenue Agency, Alberta Gaming and all civic, provincial and federal funding bodies as well as, prepare and submit all federal, provincial and municipal grants, including interim and final reports;
- supervise the annual fundraising and sponsorship campaigns;
- develop and administer the organization’s budget to ensure the financial resources are protected and managed;
- negotiate with any charities and funding bodies providing financial backing;
- network with local industry and communities, educational organizations, relevant bodies and the public and encourage engagement in artistic activities.
About Quest Theatre
Quest Theatre nurtures young people through exceptional adventures in theatre. We are a theatre for young audience company based in Calgary that has been performing all over Alberta since 1984. Historically a school touring company, Quest Theatre has expanded over the years to include Drama Camps, Artist in School Residencies and national and international touring. Since its inception the company has reached over 1.4 million young people, teachers and families. We have toured over 100 productions. At Quest Theatre we believe that all children should experience the extraordinary benefits of theatre. Doing theatre FOR children and WITH children for over 32 years, we know we invigorate vital components of a child’s development. Inspiring children to play, to create, to question, to explore, to discover, to understand and to dream are just a few of the high level outcomes achieved through the whimsy and magic of theatre.
Quest is a full member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and employs over 30 professional artists each season in its programs. Operating out of the newly constructed cSPACE in Mardaloop, we are equally proud of our many community partnerships and our relationships with presenters and festivals across Canada.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter with salary expectations in confidence to:
HR@questtheatre.org or in person to Quest , cSPACE King Edward, 1721 -29 Avenue SW, Suite #325, Calgary
Application deadline: November 17, 2017