GHOST RIVER THEATRE SEEKS GENERAL MANAGER
Ghost River Theatre is diving into the 2017/18 season seeking an inspired and savvy administrative leader to make a meaningful impact within our organization. We are looking to match the award-winning innovation in our collaboratively created live performance work with an equally dynamic and thoughtful administration. Our imaginative and ambitious company is thrilled to be in a position of exciting growth, and part of that evolution will include transitioning to a management structure that includes a full-time General Manager, in partnership with the Artistic Director Eric Rose and Artistic Associate Louise Casemore.
Our goals for the future include:
- Evolving GRT’s production cycle of creating, developing, touring and teaching
- Expanding our work into international markets
- Being at the forefront of community engagement, inclusivity, and policies surrounding safe work environments
- Creating the necessary infrastructure to be a leader in the integration of new technologies/ storytelling in live and online platforms
The compensation for the position will range from $37,000-$45,000/yr, include 3 weeks of vacation, and various opportunities for professional development. The contract will consist of a one-year term with the possibility of an additional two years, with a salary review upon discussion of renewal. We welcome applications from across Canada and will help with relocation costs if the candidate is from outside of Calgary. Ideally the position will commence December 1st but we are open to negotiating an alternative start date for the right candidate. Applications should include a current CV with references, and a letter of interest outlining three ways your talents could impact Ghost River Theatre.
Please email applications to Artistic Director Eric Rose firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: General Manager Application by November 17th at 5:00pm MST.
About the position: The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors, and works in partnership with the Artistic Director and Artistic Associate on short and long-term planning. In addition, is responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of the company as well as the producing needs for shows, touring, and workshops. Our annual operating budget is between $250,000-$400,000. Responsibilities, both shared and individual, include:
- project management and oversight
- contracting of all creative/technical personnel, including correspondence with Canadian Actors’ Equity Association
- planning, monitoring, and execution of marketing, promotion, and sales
- oversight and planning pertaining to the company’s financial health
- preparation of the annual and production budgets
- cash flow analysis and updates
- preparation and management of monthly/annual financial statements
- bill payments and coordination with GRT Bookkeeper
Fundraising and Sponsor Development:
- grant writing and reporting
- coordinate the development and implementation of fundraising strategies
- support and manage GRT’s role as one of the resident companies in the West Village Theatre
- management of company expense reports, supplies
- human resources needs and ongoing development of GRT’s Code of Conduct
- wizard with programs such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Adobe, and Microsoft Office Suite
Board of Directors:
- communicate with the Board about artistic and financial commitments
- participation in Board Committees and overall strategic planning
- facilitation of ongoing Board recruitment and development
The ideal candidate will possess:
- desire to be a vital part of a curious, daring, and forward thinking team
- passion and working knowledge for the local and national performing arts community
- minimum of three years experience in theatre administration
- ability to embrace the unexpected and maintain a sense of humour under pressure
- inspiring attention to detail
- thrives under task driven deadlines
- enjoys leadership in addition to working independently
- badass entrepreneurial attitude with a high level of self motivation
As part of a full time position, the hours per week will vary and consist of mainly of daytime requirements with occasional evenings/weekends depending on the production or company activity. Exact scheduling is flexible, and may demand more of the applicant in production months, and less in others.
About Ghost River Theatre: Led by Artistic Director Eric Rose with the support of Artistic Associate Louise Casemore, GRT is a devised theatre company that creates, develops and mounts original productions through a significant investment in imaginative research and development. We make our work in a rigorous collaborative-creation environment that recognizes and utilizes the unique abilities of all participants, premiering our work in Calgary and then touring it nationally and internationally. Our work embraces a hybrid of high tech visual spectacle with low-fi theatrical magic. As Jessica Goldman of CBC Radio stated “…no one is better at mounting a totally unique and exquisitely creative piece of work than Ghost River Theatre.” In addition, GRT is one of three resident companies that jointly manage The West Village Theatre, an 80 seat blackbox theatre located in the inner-city neighbourhood of Sunalta.