Catalyst Theatre seeks an enterprising and forward-thinking theatre professional for the leadership position of Managing Director. Reporting to Catalyst Theatre’s board of directors, and working in close consultation with the Artistic Director, the Managing Director is responsible for managing the company’s finances and is accountable for ensuring that all the operational aspects of fundraising, marketing, outreach and development align with the artistic vision, contribute to the strategic plan, and serve the company’s creation and touring mandate.
Working with the Artistic Director in a responsive and collaborative model, the Managing Director will:
- create, implement and monitor annual budgets and cash flow statements – including production and touring budgets
- maintain and monitor internal accounting controls and ensure appropriate business processes are in place
- prepare reports and financial statements for the board
- oversee the annual audit process
- identify and prepare all government and foundation grants
- report to all regulatory and funding bodies as required
- plan and implement fundraising strategies
- cultivate local, national and international development, commissioning, producing and presenting partnerships
- develop local, national and international markets for the company
- ensure all contracts are negotiated and executed in compliance with collective agreements and board policies
- hire and supervise administrative staff
- develop and administer operational plans
- oversee the implementation of marketing and communications strategies and project-specific marketing and publicity campaigns
This is a full time, permanent position with a competitive salary and benefits package.
The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- At least five years of progressively responsible leadership experience in a professional theatre setting, ideally with a creation and touring company
- An in-depth knowledge of standard operating procedures for accounting, financial reporting and budgeting
- A comprehensive and current knowledge of professional, not-for-profit theatre practice in Canada
- A comprehensive and current knowledge of the national and international arts touring ecology
- An ability to interact effectively with a wide range of individuals including funders, sponsors, donors, professional colleagues, artists and patrons
- Excellence in writing, planning, research, communications, and project management
- An ability to build national and international relationships and networks that can leverage opportunities that will serve and enhance Catalyst Theatre’s creation and touring mandate
The ideal applicant will be:
- Self-motivated and forward-thinking
- A dedicated team player who sets the bar high for themselves and those with whom they work
- A self-assured professional who enjoys a collaborative approach to leadership
- An independent thinker with strong analytical and conceptual skills
- A lover of life, people, theatre and imagination
- Resilient and fundamentally optimistic
- They will have an adventurous spirit, thrive on risk, embrace the unknown and enjoy rising to a challenge.
Catalyst Theatre is committed to creating original Canadian work that explores new possibilities for the theatrical art form and the process by which it is created, to exposing the work locally, nationally and internationally, and to supporting artists and cultivating audiences that represent the diverse world in which we live.
Our artistic practice is both director-driven and rooted in creative collaboration. Each of our productions is created in-house, from the ground up, and is built to tour. Under the leadership of director/writer/composer Jonathan Christenson, our core creative teams have been innovators in evolving the musical theatre form, creating bold, ambitious and highly theatrical productions that have been recognized with more than 100 local, national and international awards and nominations at nearly 85 theatres across Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, Australia and the United States, including in London’s West End and New York’s Broadway district.
For nearly two decades, Catalyst has played a leading role in the development of a successful creation and touring model for Anglophone Canadian theatre and has broken new ground in building presenting partnerships between small and large organizations nationally and internationally, placing the company at the forefront of an increasingly vibrant creation and touring culture and a burgeoning ‘new Canadian musical’ ecology.
In 2015, Catalyst relocated to the Citadel’s 705-seat Maclab Theatre, after raising $1.2 million to renovate its auditorium and lobby and create an adjacent suite of contemporary offices.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV with a list of 3 professional references to: [email protected]
Submissions should be addressed to: Janine Andrews, Chair of the Search Committee
We accept electronic submissions only.
Deadline: Midnight (M.S.T.) Friday, October 6th, 2017.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Catalyst Theatre hires based on merit and invites applications from all qualified candidates who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada and possess a Canadian Social Insurance Number.