Coal In Your Stocking (A Christmas Coal Mining Musical Melodrama)
Script and Lyrics by: Garry Buzzard, Trevor Matheson & Melissa Dorsey
Music by: Melissa Dorsey
Play Run Time: 30 minutes
Mine manager Mr. Bolton tries to trick Penelope into selling him the “worthless” mine her father left her. Joe has his suspicions and goes down into the mine on Christmas Eve to investigate. But will he make it to Christmas Day alive?
CAST OF CHARACTERS:
- Mr. Bolton (30+) A pompous coal mine manager; the villain/antagonist
- Joe Jodfree (16-30) A foreman at the mine, proponent of a miners’ union cause; the protagonist/hero
- Penelope Witherspoon (16-30) The daughter and heiress of the deceased mine owner
- Charlie (16-30) An fellow miner, side kick, secretly a girl in love with Joe
- Telly (18+) Bolton’s competent, yet naive assistant
- Stinky Pete (25+) The ghost of a foreman killed by his own negligence, doomed to haunt the mine (may cast in drag).
- Sunday, Sept 24, 2017 @ 9am-10pm
- Monday, Sept 25, 2017 @ 4pm-10pm
- Please clearly indicate with your submission your availability for the audition dates.
- Auditions will be held at Heritage Park.
- One Celtic, folk or musical theatre song. Please prepare only a 90sec section of your piece. (Please bring your own accompaniment. A CD player and a headphone jack will be provided. No accapella.)
- Prepare given sides (to be sent upon audition confirmation.)
- Rehearsals will begin Sunday, October 1 and will continue until the first performance on Saturday, November 25.
- There will be 2 – 3 rehearsals a week and will consist of evenings (6:30PM – 10PM) and weekends subject to the cast’s availability.
- Rehearsals will be held at Heritage Park.
- Sunday, November 19 (5PM – 9:30PM) = Cue to Cue
- Tuesday, November 21 (6:30PM – 10PM) = Tech Rehearsal
- Wednesday, November 22 (6:30PM – 10PM) = Dress Rehearsal
- Thursday, November 23 (6:30PM – 10PM) = Preview
- There will be 4 performances a day in the Opera House at Heritage Park on Saturdays & Sundays.
- Call time will be 10AM.
- Shows will be at 11AM, 12PM, 2PM, & 3PM.
- Performers will be released after hanging their costume from their last performance of the day (around 3PM).
- The show will be double cast. We will have a Saturday cast and a Sunday cast. If you wish to be considered to perform both Saturday and Sunday shows, please include that in your submission.
• November 25/26
• December 2/3
• December 9/10
• December 16/17
• December 23
Persons submitting must be available for either all the Saturday performance dates or all the Sunday performance dates. No exception.
CASTING PERSONS IN ATTENDANCE: Artistic Liaison – Trevor Matheson, Musical Director – Melissa Dorsey, & Co-playwright, Garry Buzzard.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: Friday, September 22, 2017 @ 5PM.
Interested actors, please send the following via e-mail to Trevor Matheson at TMatheson@HeritagePark.ca
- Character(s) in which you’re interested
- Any availability conflicts for the audition times, rehearsal or performance dates
- Subject line “HP 2017 Christmas Audition Submission.”
Only those selected to audition will be contacted with an audition time. Heritage Park is committed to diverse, inclusive casting. Coal In Your Stocking is a volunteer performance contract. Equity members will not be seen at these auditions.