JOB ADVERTISEMENT: TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
Located in Edmonton, at La Cité francophone, L’UniThéâtre is a not-for-profit organization. Alberta’s only professional Francophone theatre company, L’UniThéâtre produces French-language programming which is presented in the theatre of La Cité francophone. This theatre space boasts a flexible 196 seat rental venue, along with the small intimate Studio Yolande Proulx, located backstage, as well as a carpentry workshop. L’UniThéâtre also manages the theatre/workshop rentals under contract for La Cité francophone.
L’UniThéâtre is currently accepting applications for the position of Technical Director. This person shall be responsible for overseeing all technical aspects for L’UniThéâtre’s productions. The Technical Director is also responsible for managing the theatre rentals for outside renters, which include a number of local performing arts companies. The Technical Director works as a technician during rentals.
REsponsibilities SHALL INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Liaisons with the Artistic Director, General Manager, Stage Managers, Designers, Technicians and renter’s artistic and technical contacts
- Develops technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the builds of L’UniThéâtre’s productions.
- Responsible for all technical aspects and set up of the company’s Festival théâtre jeunesse de l’Alberta (4-day youth drama festival).
- Hires and supervises production staff in all related areas; provides direction, training, support and evaluation
- Evaluates practicality of concepts, solves technical and various conceptual problems, prepares estimates and monitors spending within the assigned budgets
- Sources and procures tools, equipment and materials focusing on financial and operational efficiency
- Supervises efficient and safe load-ins and load-outs for L’UniThéâtre and various rentals
- Runs technical aspects during performances of L’UniThéâtre’s productions and during theatre rentals
- Ensures a safe working environment for the crew and artists on stage, backstage and in the carpentry workshop
- Ensures proper use and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment
- Makes recommendations regarding capital purchases
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALITIES:
- The successful applicant will have proven knowledge of production techniques and staging principles and the use of relevant computer programs (usual MS Office applications), including AutoCAD.
- A minimum of three years experience as a Technical Director or related experience is required.
- The applicant should have experience with modern ETC lighting consoles and digital audio mixers.
- We are seeking a dynamic and responsible individual with superior management skills.
- The successful candidate will have experience in motivating and managing staff.
- The candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations.
- The individual should be self motivated, and continuously work toward improving and maintaining the theatre and operational practices.
- A valid Alberta driver’s license is essential.
- Having current First Aid and Fall Arrest training is an asset. Being bilingual (French and English) is also an asset.
- Candidates must be available to work evenings and weekends, as required by production and rental schedules.
START DATE: September 4th, 2017
SALARY: commensurate with experience (benefits after preliminary contract)
Send a cover letter and resume to:
ATTN: Mr. Brian Dooley and Ms. Milane Pridmore-Franz
#126, 8627, rue Marie-Anne-Gaboury (91e Rue)
Edmonton (AB) T6C 3N1
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: August 18, 2017