DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JULY 20, 2017!
JOB POSTING – MANAGING DIRECTOR
Application Deadline: July 20, 2017
Downstage is a Calgary-based professional theatre company dedicated to producing Canadian plays that create meaningful conversation around social issues. We are passionate about removing barriers to attendance, finding innovative ways to make theatre more relevant and accessible to a wide range of people. Read more about us at downstage.ca/about.shtml
Does an elegant Excel file cause your heartbeat to quicken? Have friends or co-workers marveled at your keen eye for detail and your strong writing skills? Do you love inventing and perfecting administrative systems? Are you passionate about theatre with a strong social impact?
If so, you may be an excellent fit for the part-time salaried position of Managing Director, an administrative leader who will work closely with Artistic Director Ellen Close to further Downstage’s artistic excellence and community impact. This position will have a focus on fund development, financial management, and the administrative support that makes our productions possible. This is a one-year contract with potential to renew, running from September 1, 2017 to August 31, 2018 with the option of paid training in August, 2017.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity, and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Fund Development (50%)
– Track the season fundraising target, prospects and amount raised to date
– Identify grant, foundation, and corporate funding opportunities and write proposals
– Oversee the individual donor cycle including identification of prospects and timely delivery of thanks, tax receipts and donor benefits
– Coordinate donor recognition events
– Maintain statistics on season activities for operating grants
– Coordinate our charitable casino including completing the license application, liaising with the facility, advisor and AGLC, and organizing volunteers
Show Administration (30%)
– Contract artists through applicable union agreements
– Set up and schedule auditions
– Coordinate box office and front-of-house activities including scheduling volunteers or staff, coordinating a front of house display, creating show programs, and administering audience surveys
– Coordinate group bookings including researching and contacting groups relevant to a show or initiative
– Coordinate opening night receptions
Financial Administration (20%)
– Keep the company’s day-to-day financial records
– Generate year-to-date financial reports for board meetings
– Complete timely financial reporting for granting agencies, foundations and the AGLC
– File society reports including for Alberta Societies, the WCB and the CRA
We need to you to be:
– Quite familiar with theatrical production processes
– Able to work both independently and in close collaboration on tasks
– A strong communicator, both in person and in writing
– Highly organized, with great time management skills
– A confident problem-solver, including under pressure
– Comfortable with a variety of computer programs including MS Office
It would be helpful if you also had specific experience with not-for-profit or arts fundraising; Equity agreements; the Tessitura database; and/or working with volunteer boards. We will happily provide training and opportunities for growth for the right candidate to be successful in this position.
This is a year-round, part-time position, working 25 hours per week, with a salary range of $22,000-$24,000 dependent on experience. Work is expected to take place in the Downstage office in Arts Commons in downtown Calgary, with occasional attendance or support at events on evenings and weekends.
As this is a part-time position, we absolutely understand that you will be balancing other contracts. However, you must have excellent availability in December, 2017-January, 2018 to support our main production of the season.
To apply, please send an email to Artistic Director Ellen Close at [email protected] with your resume and a letter of interest as a .pdf attachment, by end of day July 13, 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
In your letter, please briefly introduce yourself and tell us why you’re interested in this position. Make sure to draw links between your past experience and the requirements of this job.
We will send you a note to let you know we received your application, then get in contact as interviews are scheduled and decisions made. We expect to have made our final decision by the end of July.
Thanks for your interest in Downstage!