While the cast and crew of The Laws of Thermodynamics take a well-earned break, we’re excited to announce auditions for our 18th season opener, Jaan!
Dr. Bennett’s career is one dotted with disappointment, failure, and ridicule. But the shocking discovery of a living specimen of the legendary “mermaids of Lake Minnewanka” is certain to turn that career, and the entire scientific community, upside down. But as we witness the journey that led to the discovery, study, and the shocking revelation to the scientific world, we learn that lines drawn between science and ambition are as deep and dark as the waters of Lake Minnewanka itself. Chelsea Fawcett’s “Jaan“, directed by Dan Gibbins, is certain to tease, taunt, and entertain while leaving you desperate for answers that may never come.
- Dr. Bennett (30s-40s, M or F): Fringe ichthyologist, believes s/he has made a discovery of profound importance, and is driven to validate a lifetime of belief.
- Dr. Vaideswaran (late 20s-40s, M or F): South Asian descent. Dr. Bennett’s lover and key ally with the Royal Society, s/he is both intensely curious about Dr. Bennett’s discovery, and concerned to be kept at a distance from it.
- Dr. Yuen (30s-60s, M of F): East Asian descent. Dr. Bennett’s harshest critic, staunchly opposed to even hearing him/her out over the discovery.
- Dr. Gagné (30s-60s, M or F): Head of the Board of the Royal Society of Canada, and has agreed, slightly reluctantly, to hear what Dr. Bennett has to say.
- Reporter (20s-early 30s, M): Sent to cover Dr. Bennett’s story, but not taking it particularly seriously.
- Dr. Vorontsov/Jaan (20s+, F): Role shared. Dr. Vorontsov is a part of the Board of the Royal Society of Canada, representing on behalf of human physiology. Jaan is a consistent presence, hinted at rather than fully seen.
Please prepare a dramatic monologue of no more than five (5) minutes total. Those actors seen at callbacks will be provided sides for cold reading. A copy of the script is available upon request.
Send resume and headshot firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “JAAN AUDITIONS“, and indicate in the body of the email which character you want to audition for and your preference for a time.
Monday, June 19, 2017 7:00-10:00 pm
Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:00-10:00 pm
Invited Call backs: Monday, June 26, 2017 7:00-10:00 pm
Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:00-10:00 pm
August 9 to September 30, 2017
Monday and Wednesday evenings from 7:00-10:00 pm
Saturday afternoons from 1:00-5:00 pm
Friday, October 6 to Saturday, October 14, 2017
All cast members are required during “Tech Week”, October 1-5, 2017
Scorpio Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Artists of all backgrounds regardless of race, orientation, or personal beliefs are encouraged to apply.
Casting person in attendance: Director: Dan Gibbins; Assistant Director: Scott Evans; Artistic Associate: Matt Pickering; Stage Manager: Daisy Pond