Announcing New Performing Arts Workshop Opportunities
Festival Place is pleased to offer new performing arts workshops, helping to enrich the arts and culture community in Sherwood Park. The five workshops will explore choreography, stage combat, acting and dialect work, working with an orchestra and musical theatre. Workshops are available for a variety of ages and are taught by theatre professionals. These workshops are also intended to strengthen the skills for those interested or already involved in Festival Player’s Christmastime production of Fiddler on the Roof (December 15 – 30).
Dancing for Musical Theatre
Dancers and non-dancers alike are invited to learn basic movement needed to nail an audition or performance in a musical theatre production. Participants with gain knowledge of what a choreographer will be looking for in an audition and valuable tools for a musical theatre career.
- Monday, June 12 from 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- Instructor: Shelley Tookey
- Age 10 and over
- Registration code: 115215
Stage Combat 1 & 2
Learn the basics of unarmed and armed stage combat. Janine is an experienced Fight Director and Choreographer. Skills such as falls, slaps, pushes, body strikes, basic sword technique will be covered and above all, how to do it safely.
- Saturday, June 24 & Sunday, June 25 from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Instructor: Janine Waddell Hodder
- Age 13 – 15 | Ages 16 & over
- Registration code: 115216 | 115217
Acting / Dialect Workshop
For a performer interested in preparing the specifics of a character, learning a dialect can be important and can also be daunting. This workshop will introduce how to approach learning a dialect for film and stage.
- Tuesday, July 18 from 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- Instructor: Gene Gabriel
- Age 13 and over
- Registration code: 115218
Working with an Orchestra
Whether you are an accomplished musician, student, or just love performing this is an opportunity to work and collaborate with an orchestra, select a song, work on arrangement and perform with a live orchestra.
- Saturday, August 12 & Sunday, August 13 from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Instructor: Michael Clark
- Age 12 and over
- Registration code: 115219
Act, Sing and Move for Musical Theatre
This workshop is great way to break into Musical Theatre by learning more technique to move and dance, sing and project to an audience, as well as act.
- Saturday, September 9 & Sunday, Sept 10 from 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Instructor: Mhairi Berg
- Ages 6 – 12 | 13 & over
- Registration code: 115220 | 115222
All workshops are $25.
Interested participants can register online at www.strathcona.ca/recreation.