Read Alberta eBooks project launched on library websites across the province.
Alberta Municipal Affairs’ Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) has partnered with the Book Publishers Association of Alberta to make over 1,000 Alberta-published eBooks available to readers across the province.
These eBooks can now be borrowed through the Cantook Station platform on public library websites. The largest of its kind in Canada, the collection represents 24 Alberta publishers.
Genres include: literary fiction, graphic novels, poetry, drama, mystery, memoir, biography, self-help, humour, scholarly, young adult and speculative fiction.
This partnership between the government and book publishers gives Alberta readers better access to locally-made content, and supports an important cultural industry. Provincial investment is needed to help the publishing industry recover and grow. The investment will be ongoing, as PLSB will continue funding the growth of the collection over the coming years.
- Over the past 15 years, 40% of Alberta’s professional book publishers have relocated, sold their assets out of the province, or shut down entirely.
- Cantook Station is a Canadian eBook distribution platform.
- These eBooks can be borrowed by all Alberta public library patrons.
- Each title can be borrowed simultaneously up to a circulation cap of 50 lends.
- Print copies of many of the collection titles are also available from library branches.
To see the project’s Drama titles:
- Visit Read Alberta eBooks project.
- Click on any of the library systems.
- Scroll to ‘drama’ under ‘fiction.’
- The rural library systems will show you all of the drama ebooks in the project, because EPL and CPL already had a few in their catalogues.
To read the Launch Media Release, please click here.