Seasonal, hourly position for individual in good standing w/ I.A.T.S.E. Local 210.
Edmonton Opera (EOA) has the following seasonal position available: Assistant Head Scenic Carpenter. This position reports to the Head of Scenic Carpentry while working in collaboration with EOA’s Head Stage Carpenter, Head of Properties, Head of Scenic Paint.
- This is an hourly position, which falls under the EOA/I.A.T.S.E Local 210 Collective Agreement. This position qualifies to receive EOA equipment / safety training, as well as complimentary tickets to productions, as available.
- This position is for the 2017-18 Opera Season and may be considered for recurring seasons. The successful applicant will also have first choice of any additional work that may become available throughout the season.
- This is an hourly, as needed position, which has no guarantee of continuous hours.
- All work will be completed at EOA’s production facility, 15230-128Ave with the occasional need to attend set-ups and take-downs at performance venues.
- September 5 – 29, 2017 | HMS Pinafore Scenery Build
- October 2 – 27, 2017 | Don Giovanni Scenery Build
- January 2 – February 2, 2018 | Co-Production Scenery
- Build April 16 – May 11, 2018 | Possible Scenery Build
- Various dates throughout the season | Rehearsal Hall Load-in/set-up, maintenance, set-ups as needed.
- *Schedule is subject to change
Assistant Head Scenic Carpenters duties, required & requested skills:
- Ability to interpret methods and techniques for the purpose of matching to the original design.
- Ability to work on an elevated platform, including Scissor Lifts and ladders.
- Ability to work in detail and with broad technique.
- Participate in problem-solving, safe stage practices and strict adherence to EOA Health & Safety Policies.
- Ability to work with and lead a crew.
- Ability to work with various power tools and hand tools in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Ability to instruct others to use tools and equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Ability to work with a variety of materials including steel, lumber, plywood, styrofoam, fabric, etc.
- Ability to weld both steel and aluminum (small projects).
- Ability to work within the guidelines established by EOA. Such guidelines include labour, petty cash, purchase orders and established protocols & practices.
- Basic rigging and some experience working in a fly-house.
- Experience working in a team environment and experience working with Union Crews.
- Experience assembling a variety of scenery.
- Experience working under direction and the ability to take basic directions and lead the crew.
- Experience on running crew.
- Ability to work co-operatively with other crews.
- Ability to travel with/for productions to act as the Scenery Supervisor.
- In good standing with I.A.T.S.E. Local 210.
To apply for this position please mail, email or fax your resume and any other pertinent information to Edmonton Opera, Attn: Production Department.
Mail to: Edmonton Opera
ATTN: Production Department
15230 128 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5V 1A8
E-mail to: [email protected]
Fax to: 780-429-0600 ATTN: Production Department (please include a cover page).
For further information on this opportunity please contact Clayton Rodney, [email protected].
Deadline for applications: 4:30pm, Tuesday June 6, 2017.
Only appropriate candidates will be contacted. Edmonton Opera is an equal opportunity employer.