A comedy-mystery-sci-fi-locked-room adventure!
About the Play: Rigby Muldoon, time traveler for hire, has decided to spend his day off in an abandoned mansion at the centre of a storm so terrible that it exists in multiple times throughout history at once. The mansion’s inhabitants from across history all find themselves trapped together, waiting out the storm, when events take a mysterious and murderous turn.
Paradox at Vanderkroft Manor is a comedy-mystery-sci-fi-locked-room adventure and anthological sequel to 2014’s Rigby Muldoon: Time Traveler for Hire.
- Constance Bailey – A nun, mid 20s, from 1947. Constance is tougher than she lets on – having served as a medic in WWII – and is currently experiencing a crisis of faith. She’s seeking solitude in the mansion when the storm hits.
- Tiffany Long – A teenage girl from 1987. Tiffany is rambunctious, outspoken teen with a rebellious streak; frequently at odds with her father and his – in her opinion – unreasonable austerity. She is a third-generation Chinese Canadian. She and her father live in Vanderkroft manor in the 1980s.
- Raymond Long – A scientist, mid-40s, Tiffany’s father, from 1987. Raymond is an accomplished theoretical physicist whose parents emigrated from China in the 1950s. As a single father, he cares deeply for his daughter, but is very protective and worries about the decisions she makes. He and Tiffany live in Vanderkroft manor in the 1980s.
- Harold Mueller – A groundskeeper, late 50s/early 60s, from the 1890s. Harold is the groundskeeper of Vanderkroft Manor as it originally belonged to the Vanderkrofts in the 1890s, and built the manor himself. Uneducated, rustic and entering his senior years, Harold boorishly holds a number of prejudices and backwards opinions.
- Zenabrax Galduthrian – A lone wanderer from a post-apocalyptic future. Agender. Age unknown (casting age: early 20s). Zenabrax hails from a future wasteland and has been completely alone for most of their memory. They have a strange manner of speaking and a strong distrust of others.
The writer and director are committed to working with the actors cast to develop these characters and their backstories, as we want to draw from actual experiences and tell the most genuine story possible. As such, the script may be subject to change early in the rehearsal process. For example, the current draft of the script mentions that Raymond and Tiffany are Chinese Canadians, but their ethnicity may be changed to reflect the casting.
Because this is a BYOV production and our venue is a licensed area, only actors 18+ will be considered for audition.
While all actors will be considered for their preferred roles, older actors are strongly encouraged to audition for Harold and Raymond.
The title character, Rigby Muldoon, is already cast.
- Friday, May 5: 10am – 4pm.
- Friday May 12: 10am – 4pm.
Deadline to submit: 5:00 pm, May 11, 2017.
- One prepared monologue of your choice.
- A prepared reading of sides from the script to be assigned in advance.
- Possibility of cold-reads from the script.
- To book an audition, contact director Pete Morley at [email protected].
- Subject line should read “Rigby Muldoon Audition – [Your Name]”.
- Attach résumé and head shot, and indicate your audition role and date preference (May 5 or May 12).