Now accepting applications from the professional theatre community for Actors
Stamina, Strength, Agility of Body, Mind, Heart
The Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program, presented by the Citadel Theatre and Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, offers an advanced creative development Program to enrich the skills of established theatre professionals. Now in its tenth year, this Program, conceived by Citadel Theatre Artistic Director Emeritus Bob Baker, provides a unique professional development opportunity to Canadian theatre artists.
The Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program is designed to embrace and enhance the artist’s strengths while encouraging the exploration of new concepts. The curriculum of the Program comprises master classes in scene study, movement/dance, singing, voice and speech, stage combat, classical text, improvisation and script analysis by a Faculty of some of Canada’s leading theatre artists. The residency for the Program is divided between Banff (four weeks) and Edmonton (one half week).
Following the four and half week training period, participants will rehearse and perform The Silver Arrow: The Untold Story of Robin Hood, in a new adaptation by Mieko Ouchi. The production will be directed by Citadel Theatre Artistic Director Daryl Cloran as part of the Citadel’s 2017/2018 Season. In 2018, the Program will accept 12-14 acting participants. We are looking for exceptional actors at all stages of their careers who are interested in continued professional development. The participants for the 2018 Program will form the cast of The Silver Arrow: The Untold Story of Robin Hood.
The deadline for application is 12:00pm (MST), Friday, May 12, 2017.
- Edmonton: May 16 – 19, 2017.
- Toronto: May 23 – 30, 2017.
- Vancouver: June 5 – 6, 2017.
- Two brief monologues of your choosing, one contemporary and one classical (Shakespeare).
Program dates and information:
- Banff Centre residency: February 18 – March 18, 2018.
- Citadel Theatre residency: March 20 – March 22, 2018.
- Rehearsals for The Silver Arrow: March 23 – April 21, 2018.
- Performances of The Silver Arrow: April 22 – May 13, 2018.
- All artists will be registered as Participants for the training, rehearsal and performance period.
- Training (Part 1) at the Banff Centre from Sunday, February 18 – Sunday, March 18, 2018. While at the Banff Centre, the meal plan, shared accommodation and tuition will be covered by a scholarship.
- Training (Part 2) at the Citadel Theatre from Tuesday, March 20 – Thursday, March 22, 2018. During this half week each participant will receive a paid allowance of $320.
- Rehearsal, technical rehearsal, and performance of The Silver Arrow: The Untold Story of Robin Hood at the Citadel Theatre from Friday, March 23 – Sunday, May 13, 2018. All artists will be engaged on a CTA contract at A-Category minimum for this 7.5 week period. Participants are responsible for obtaining their own accommodation in Edmonton during this time.
- Particpants will be responsible for travel to the Banff Centre for the commencement of the Program. Transportation is provided from Banff to Edmonton, as well as return travel to point-of-origin from Edmonton at the completion of the Program.
- All participants will receive the same non-negotiable offer.
Important additional information to read before applying:
The Program is designed for established theatre professionals. We encourage applications from established, mid-career artists, as well as emerging artists with a recommended minimum of three years professional experience. There is no age minimum or maximum.
The Citadel Theatre is committed to inclusive training and casting. We encourage submissions from professional artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities. The Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program seeks applications from any theatre professionals desiring to enhance their skills, irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, race, or gender identity. The Program is open to those with Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.
There is a $40.00 non-refundable application fee. This processing fee covers the administrative costs of the application, and is paid directly to the Banff Centre. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an audition/interview. Applications who have not paid their non-refundable application fee will be deemed incomplete.
All applicants will be seen for an audition/interview in Edmonton, Vancouver, or Toronto. Applicants are responsible for their own travel to one of these locations. Please do not apply unless you are available to audition in one of the three audition centres in May-June, 2017. Video auditions will only be accepted under special circumstances.
All successful applicants will be required continuously for the 12 week duration. Please do not apply if you cannot commit to the entire contract period.
For further information, contact Wayne Paquette, Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please click here.